Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light wire to LED light bar?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light wire to LED light bar?

I have a 2013 F150 STX and i had recently purchased the ADD Venom front bumper. The bumper i got comes with a winch mount, mounts for two 4" light bars, and a mount for a 30" light bar. With this bumper installed it eliminates the factory fog lights. I was wondering if there was a way to hook up at least one light bar to the factory fog light connection so i could just flip the factory fog light switch and a light bar turns on instead of having to run alot more wires and switches to the cab. Thanks, Nate
Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate6283
I have a 2013 F150 STX and i had recently purchased the ADD Venom front bumper. The bumper i got comes with a winch mount, mounts for two 4" light bars, and a mount for a 30" light bar. With this bumper installed it eliminates the factory fog lights. I was wondering if there was a way to hook up at least one light bar to the factory fog light connection so i could just flip the factory fog light switch and a light bar turns on instead of having to run alot more wires and switches to the cab. Thanks, Nate
Definitely. Youll have to find a diagram online to see what wires are for the fogs, but LED bars usually don't take much power at all.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dopewaffle
but LED bars usually don't take much power at all.
^^^Wrong^^^

My 30" led bar pulls 15 amps. There is no way in hell he will be able to tie in a light bar to his fog lights using the factory wiring. Unless he puts in a relay and then used thicker electrical wire from the relay to the light bar that's the only way it would work.

My little 10" light bar pulls 3.5 amps.

Nate- hook up all your aftermarket lights separately from your factory lights that way you have no issues, especially with you having a brand-new truck if something goes wrong you may not be covered under warranty for any electrical issues.

Last edited by Floridaguy80; 01-18-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Floridaguy80

^^^Wrong^^^

My 30" led bar pulls 15 amps. There is no way in hell he will be able to tie in a light bar to his fog lights using the factory wiring. Unless he puts in a relay and then used thicker electrical wire from the relay to the light bar that's the only way it would work.

My little 10" light bar pulls 3.5 amps.

Nate- hook up all your aftermarket lights separately from your factory lights that way you have no issues, especially with you having a brand-new truck if something goes wrong you may not be covered under warranty for any electrical issues.
The Rigid Industries pulls half that. I have an 01 and my fog light switch is 20amps. Considering he would replace the fogs, 8.5 x 2 light bars will still be under 20 amps. Never hurts to check what fuse your truck has. I'm guessing a 20 amp, would be something along the lines of 16ga wiring, what comes with Rigids harness.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

What size light or do you have a what model is it?

Also, what is "8.5 x2"? What are these figures and where are they coming from I don't see where he mentioned anything about those numbers?
If I have to guess what you're trying to say is that each fog light is pulling 8.5amps?

Here is a link. It's pretty self-explanatory on how to use it, but it tells you what gauge wire you need based on the length you're going to run it with a certain amount of amps.

On my 30" bar, I am running 10 gauge wire from the Light bar to the relay over a distance of about 10 feet.
At 15 A with 10 gauge wire I am able to safely run it a length of maximum 17 feet according to this website

http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Originally Posted by Floridaguy80
What size light or do you have a what model is it?

Also, what is "8.5 x2"? What are these figures and where are they coming from I don't see where he mentioned anything about those numbers?
If I have to guess what you're trying to say is that each fog light is pulling 8.5amps?

Here is a link. It's pretty self-explanatory on how to use it, but it tells you what gauge wire you need based on the length you're going to run it with a certain amount of amps.

On my 30" bar, I am running 10 gauge wire from the Light bar to the relay over a distance of about 10 feet.
At 15 A with 10 gauge wire I am able to safely run it a length of maximum 17 feet according to this website

http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html
8.5 amps to 2 bars. Rigid uses low amperage over Chinese lights. I've seen people run 2 rigid cubes from the fog light harness. Maybe not a LED bar, but I'm saying its safe to run 2 Rigid bars.

OP, I would run your 4" lights to the fog light harness, and your bars off a switch.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Super user

Received 197 Likes on 134 Posts

After reading this on Ford's website.......... I would say that is a low voltage switch, and a relay would be recommended for the procedure to be a success.

SSM 12048 - 2009-2013 F150 - Headlamp Switch Inoperative - Aftermarket Accessories
Some 2009-2013 F-150 vehicles may experience the headlamps stuck on or headlamps park lamps or fog lamps inoperative due to an open headlight switch. Incorrectly installed aftermarket or Genuine Ford Accessories (GFA), may damage the headlamp switch causing an open due to high current inputs/draws on a low current design switch. Refer to Warranty and policy manual for aftermarket accessory policies.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

This is what I did. Sorry for the crude drawing.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog light wire to LED light bar?