Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


View Poll Results: What Aftermarket Exhaust do you have?
Magnaflow 307 23.08%
Borla 91 6.84%
Flowmaster 355 26.69%
Cherry Bomb 56 4.21%
Straight Pipes 70 5.26%
Roush 74 5.56%
Banks 44 3.31%
Melatone 0 0%
Ford Racing 10 0.75%
Other 323 24.29%
Voters: 1330. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #731
Senior Member
 
rdolney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey guys....

I have read through a good 40/50 pages on this thread and got some great ideas and seen some really happy people with their exhaust systems they went with. I'd love to hear some opinions in regards to the couple systems (listed below).

A little bit about my truck - 2014 Fx4 5.0L stock.

A little bit about what I want - A nice QUALITY stainless steel (I live in Michigan and we get some weather, salt etc.) cat back system. I don't need something super aggressive and super loud, but I want a nice rumble at start and idle. Want it to sound nice a throaty/mean when you step on it. But above all, as close to NO DRONE as possible. I need to be able to have phone conversations in the car when cruising. I prefer the dual tips out the passenger wheel side, but I am not completely sold on that. I just would worry about the dual tips out the rear with my painted bumper. Can those tips get hot enough to mess with my paint?

Here are some of the kits I am looking at:

1. SOLO Dual Mach X Kit: http://solo-performance.com/v8-f150-...exhaust-system
2. Borla S Type kit: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/140...st-System.html
3. MBRP 3 " Cat Back, Single Exit: http://performancetruckproducts.com/...ingle-exit-blk I know this isn't stainless steel, but I like the black look too
4. Magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...ew/model/f-150
__________________
2014 FX4 SuperCrew - 5.0L Ruby Red w/Appearance Package and 402A | Spray In Bed Liner | CORSA Sport Exhaust w/Black Tips | Weathertech Floor Matts & Mud Flaps | LED Everything
TRADED* 2013 XLT SuperCrew - 5.0L 4x4 Sterling Grey

Last edited by rdolney; 08-14-2014 at 04:59 PM.
rdolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #732
Member
 
brc1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolney View Post
Hey guys....

I have read through a good 40/50 pages on this thread and got some great ideas and seen some really happy people with their exhaust systems they went with. I'd love to hear some opinions in regards to the couple systems (listed below).

A little bit about my truck - 2014 Fx4 5.0L stock.

A little bit about what I want - A nice QUALITY stainless steel (I live in Michigan and we get some weather, salt etc.) cat back system. I don't need something super aggressive and super loud, but I want a nice rumble at start and idle. Want it to sound nice a throaty/mean when you step on it. But above all, as close to NO DRONE as possible. I need to be able to have phone conversations in the car when cruising. I prefer the dual tips out the passenger wheel side, but I am not completely sold on that. I just would worry about the dual tips out the rear with my painted bumper. Can those tips get hot enough to mess with my paint?

Here are some of the kits I am looking at:

1. SOLO Dual Mach X Kit: http://solo-performance.com/v8-f150-...exhaust-system
2. Borla S Type kit: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/140...st-System.html
3. MBRP 3 " Cat Back, Single Exit: http://performancetruckproducts.com/...ingle-exit-blk I know this isn't stainless steel, but I like the black look too
4. Magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...ew/model/f-150
borla would be my vote, or the magnaflow which from YouTube videos I can say is quieter than the borla
brc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brc1989 For This Useful Post:
rdolney (08-18-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #733
Senior Member
 
rdolney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Thanks for the comment brc1989. What do you have on your truck? Is it a 5.0L?
__________________
2014 FX4 SuperCrew - 5.0L Ruby Red w/Appearance Package and 402A | Spray In Bed Liner | CORSA Sport Exhaust w/Black Tips | Weathertech Floor Matts & Mud Flaps | LED Everything
TRADED* 2013 XLT SuperCrew - 5.0L 4x4 Sterling Grey
rdolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #734
Member
 
brc1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolney View Post
Thanks for the comment brc1989. What do you have on your truck? Is it a 5.0L?
Yes it is, I have a 14" magnaflow sido custom exhaust, but it's not stainless and it is 2.5" pipe into dual 2.25" tailpipes out, also it has an ugly raspy sound at higher rpms and a little bit of drone, so I'm going to a 19" borla pro xs with 3" pipe into 2.5" tailpipes out with stainless steel this time.
brc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #735
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
7700SCREW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,221
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks: 20
Thanked 101 Times in 90 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc1989 View Post
Yes it is, I have a 14" magnaflow sido custom exhaust, but it's not stainless and it is 2.5" pipe into dual 2.25" tailpipes out, also it has an ugly raspy sound at higher rpms and a little bit of drone, so I'm going to a 19" borla pro xs with 3" pipe into 2.5" tailpipes out with stainless steel this time.
The "ugly raspy sound" you have is because of the 2.25 tail pipes.
7700SCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 7700SCREW For This Useful Post:
brc1989 (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #736
Member
 
brc1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7700SCREW View Post
The "ugly raspy sound" you have is because of the 2.25 tail pipes.
I thought that might have been part of it that's why I'm going to 2.5" ones, why is it smaller tailpipes get more raspy ?

Last edited by brc1989; 08-16-2014 at 11:51 AM.
brc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #737
Senior Member
 
ncgator8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Consider Gibson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolney View Post
Hey guys....

I have read through a good 40/50 pages on this thread and got some great ideas and seen some really happy people with their exhaust systems they went with. I'd love to hear some opinions in regards to the couple systems (listed below).

A little bit about my truck - 2014 Fx4 5.0L stock.

A little bit about what I want - A nice QUALITY stainless steel (I live in Michigan and we get some weather, salt etc.) cat back system. I don't need something super aggressive and super loud, but I want a nice rumble at start and idle. Want it to sound nice a throaty/mean when you step on it. But above all, as close to NO DRONE as possible. I need to be able to have phone conversations in the car when cruising. I prefer the dual tips out the passenger wheel side, but I am not completely sold on that. I just would worry about the dual tips out the rear with my painted bumper. Can those tips get hot enough to mess with my paint?

Here are some of the kits I am looking at:

1. SOLO Dual Mach X Kit: http://solo-performance.com/v8-f150-...exhaust-system
2. Borla S Type kit: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/140...st-System.html
3. MBRP 3 " Cat Back, Single Exit: http://performancetruckproducts.com/...ingle-exit-blk I know this isn't stainless steel, but I like the black look too
4. Magnaflow http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...ew/model/f-150

I installed a Gibson 69210 stainless system. There is virtually no drone and it keeps the resonator. IMO, removing the resonator is where the drone comes from. I had a little hanger adjustment initially, but after that, nothing but smooth sailing. The system fits really well on my truck. I purchased it at Jegs.com through ebay. Unless you have really made up your mind to the ones that you have mentioned, take a look at Gibson.com. Be sure to check out the hp and torque curves to see where you will most benefit- that's where you will see a difference. I am seeing about +1.5 mpg, including the Airaid cai. Best of luck with your decision.
__________________
2013 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 4X4

Ruby Red Metallic/ Pale Adobe Accent, Equipment Group 502A, 3.55 Electronic Lock Axle, Off Road Package, '06 F150 18" Chrome Wheels, Tailgate Step, Gibson Dual Sport cat- back, Airaid cai, JLT Performance Oil Separator, BAKflip FIBERMAX tonneau cover
ncgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncgator8 For This Useful Post:
rdolney (08-18-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #738
Senior Member
 
rdolney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MI
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Hey thanks for the suggestion ncgator , I've seen that kit,but can't find video clips to hear it anywhere. Do you have any from your truck? I'd love to see and hear it. How do you like the sound?
__________________
2014 FX4 SuperCrew - 5.0L Ruby Red w/Appearance Package and 402A | Spray In Bed Liner | CORSA Sport Exhaust w/Black Tips | Weathertech Floor Matts & Mud Flaps | LED Everything
TRADED* 2013 XLT SuperCrew - 5.0L 4x4 Sterling Grey
rdolney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #739
Senior Member
 
johnday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Barton City Michigan
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 83
Thanked 34 Times in 31 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I've got a Flowmaster/Roush hybrid. I just couldn't take the drone of the Roush by itself, so I installed a Series 40 Flowmaster after the Roush. Still have drone, but no where near as bad.
Since all that, the other day found me at the Roush speedshop in Livonia Mi. The shop manager gave me another alternative to the drone. Apparently, I'm not the only one that didn't like all the cab noise. The F150 guru there has suggested reinstalling the stock resonator in conjunction with the Roush muffler. Well, maybe I will, not sure yet, it just seems like a lot of cobbling up to me. The Roush system is all 3", the stock resonator is 2.5".
__________________
'12 Scab, 4X4, 6.5 bed, 5.0, SCTX4 with custom tunes, Flowmaster/Roush hybrid exhaust, 3:55, XLT, 2" leveling kit, 3" rear block, Air Lift bags, rear wheelwell liners, LT275/70/18 Silent Armors, turn signal mod, front airdam deleted, 4times4 sticker deleted, LineXed bed, ARE cap for winter, Truxedo LoPro tonneau for summer. Raptor style grille lights, ICC markers under tailgate, HD/Raptor heads/tails, Race Red, like a giant tomato!
johnday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #740
Senior Member
 
ncgator8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnday View Post
I've got a Flowmaster/Roush hybrid. I just couldn't take the drone of the Roush by itself, so I installed a Series 40 Flowmaster after the Roush. Still have drone, but no where near as bad.
Since all that, the other day found me at the Roush speedshop in Livonia Mi. The shop manager gave me another alternative to the drone. Apparently, I'm not the only one that didn't like all the cab noise. The F150 guru there has suggested reinstalling the stock resonator in conjunction with the Roush muffler. Well, maybe I will, not sure yet, it just seems like a lot of cobbling up to me. The Roush system is all 3", the stock resonator is 2.5".
Please read my entry 2 entries up on this page regarding the resonator. I know, it is hard to believe that I could know as much as the F-150 guru, but I am pleased with myself about that. I am just kidding, almost. Seriously, I agree with the guru because the resonator is a straight- thru device, similar to the mufflers you have used. And, unless you are routinely running above 5k RPM, you will never notice any difference between the 2 1/2" resonator and the 3" system. Unless you have changed the exhaust manifolds and cats, you will be fine. The engine needs a little "surge volume" to suppress the drone. If you look at what some of the Mustang guys are doing, they are removing the resonators and then adding back a separate surge pipe that is attached to the headpipe of each muffler, but then runs back along the muffler where it then terminates (dead end). IMO, as far as cobbling, try to think of it as plumbing- the only thing that really matters is that it does not fall off, you get the results you want, and the exhaust ends up at the back (or side) of the vehicle. I would reinstall the resonator.
__________________
2013 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 4X4

Ruby Red Metallic/ Pale Adobe Accent, Equipment Group 502A, 3.55 Electronic Lock Axle, Off Road Package, '06 F150 18" Chrome Wheels, Tailgate Step, Gibson Dual Sport cat- back, Airaid cai, JLT Performance Oil Separator, BAKflip FIBERMAX tonneau cover

Last edited by ncgator8; 08-18-2014 at 12:38 PM.
ncgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncgator8 For This Useful Post:
johnday (08-18-2014)
Old 08-18-2014, 10:31 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
borla, exhaust, flowmaster, magnaflow

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.