Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Conversion

Sorry guys if this has already been talked about but has any heard about a rear door conversion kit for a 2011-2014 SuperCab that will let the door upon up all the way like the 2015 doors. Or at least let the doors open more?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Haven't heard anything of the sort, I have seen the 15's and how the rear doors basically fold all the way back as if touching the box but looking at it I pause to ask why? It makes no sense to me why they swing that far back, I can access every inch of rear interior space with the doors the way they are on my 13 sc.

Just seems more like a gimmick than any real usefulness.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Haven't heard anything of the sort, I have seen the 15's and how the rear doors basically fold all the way back as if touching the box but looking at it I pause to ask why? It makes no sense to me why they swing that far back, I can access every inch of rear interior space with the doors the way they are on my 13 sc.

Just seems more like a gimmick than any real usefulness.
In my garage I cannot easily access the back seat with any object of any size due to lack of clearance between cars. If they folded back, I could.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
In my garage I cannot easily access the back seat with any object of any size due to lack of clearance between cars. If they folded back, I could.
Um...... apparently you haven't seen a 15 sc rear door, they open the same way, just go back farther which makes no sense, if you can't open your doors now you wouldn't be able to do so with the other setup either unless you fold them back before you enter the garage, then they would have to stay open until you pull back out.

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-26-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Suicide doors is a pretty costly thing. Would require some pretty good fab and body work skills, probably not a cheap thing to do.

But it would be really nice to have them. Would love to have them on my crew cab. Hate getting hit by my door from a rear passenger.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by boom50cal
Suicide doors is a pretty costly thing. Would require some pretty good fab and body work skills, probably not a cheap thing to do.

But it would be really nice to have them. Would love to have them on my crew cab. Hate getting hit by my door from a rear passenger.
The super cab doors are already suicide doors, the only difference between 09-14 and the 15 is the 15's doors crank back almost touching the cargo box, close to 180* the 09-14 rear doors open up 90*. Even with only 90* open it's plenty wide enough for any person to get in. My 2013 below.

Someone explain to me why the door should open any further, I must be blind because I just don't see a reason.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking that the rear doors opening all the way up would be nice as I was taking my newborn son out of the back of my truck in a crowded parking lot to hand him to his mother in his car seat. It's kinda a pain to have to get him out of the rear seat and be basically trapped between the two doors and the car next to me... Oh well would be nice though.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Coryb2003
I was thinking that the rear doors opening all the way up would be nice as I was taking my newborn son out of the back of my truck in a crowded parking lot to hand him to his mother in his car seat. It's kinda a pain to have to get him out of the rear seat and be basically trapped between the two doors and the car next to me... Oh well would be nice though.
If your parked that close to the next car the door will not open any farther than the space between your truck and that car. I understand what your saying but it makes no sense when you take into account the geometry of the door, whether it opens 90* or 180* like the 15, it still has to swing open in the same arc .

Now perhaps some sort of swept back hinge like a Lamborghini door where it opens a crack and then swings back straight up, that would work better for what you want.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
The super cab doors are already suicide doors, the only difference between 09-14 and the 15 is the 15's doors crank back almost touching the cargo box, close to 180* the 09-14 rear doors open up 90*. Even with only 90* open it's plenty wide enough for any person to get in. My 2013 below.

Someone explain to me why the door should open any further, I must be blind because I just don't see a reason.
That's all fine and good when you're the only car in the parking lot, try and do something as simple as put a set of golf bags in the back seat when you're next to another vehicle.

Having the rear door swing almost into the box would definitely be helpful and a nice mod.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Havyek
That's all fine and good when you're the only car in the parking lot, try and do something as simple as put a set of golf bags in the back seat when you're next to another vehicle.

Having the rear door swing almost into the box would definitely be helpful and a nice mod.
Did they stop teaching geometry in school? Good grief, if you open a door that's 3' wide it does not shrink when it swings open, it still needs 3' of space (arc of movement) to open, when you get to 90* it's 3' wide, when you get to 180* it's still 3' wide.

The only way it would provide any added access is if your parked farther than 3' away from an obstacle or open the thing then get back in the truck and park it with the door wide open.

The 3' measurement is just used as an example. I didn't go out and measure one of my doors.

Quick Reply: Door Conversion