Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a tune-up after installing a new aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need a tune-up after installing a new aftermarket exhaust?

Yes, I did search Google first, however, most answers I was seeing were for cars rather than trucks and different brands.

I was talking to my step-dad earlier and he was asking if I did a tune up after installing my new exhaust system. I was not aware of that because when I read reviews about my exhaust and the instructions that came with the exhaust there was no mention of tuning or tune-up.

My question to you F-150 owners, did you do any sort of tuning or tune-up after installing a new exhaust?

I do not feel I have lost any torque or HP and I have not noticed any issues in my vehicle.

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I wouldn't think so but it would help to have the details of your truck. Year, model, engine, etc.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 AM
KLG

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfred2112
Yes, I did search Google first, however, most answers I was seeing were for cars rather than trucks and different brands.

I was talking to my step-dad earlier and he was asking if I did a tune up after installing my new exhaust system. I was not aware of that because when I read reviews about my exhaust and the instructions that came with the exhaust there was no mention of tuning or tune-up.

My question to you F-150 owners, did you do any sort of tuning or tune-up after installing a new exhaust?

I do not feel I have lost any torque or HP and I have not noticed any issues in my vehicle.

Thank you.
As mentioned, a little more information would be helpful. However, if you are replacing your stock exhaust with a cat-back system or something similar, no tune is required.

On the other hand, if you are installing headers along with a high flow exhaust, then a tune is probably a good idea.

--KLG--

Last edited by KLG; 06-28-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 AM

My apologies, I thought I had my truck info in my signature line.

2015 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost.

I purchased the MBRP Cat Back XP Series 4" single exit exhaust system.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjfred2112
My apologies, I thought I had my truck info in my signature line. 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost. I purchased the MBRP Cat Back XP Series 4" single exit exhaust system.
How does it sound ? I just bought a 2016 2.7 XLT and want to do the exhaust
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Moss
How does it sound ? I just bought a 2016 2.7 XLT and want to do the exhaust
Here is a video I put up about a week ago. Please note that this is recorded on a cell phone. The audio on that sounds a bit different than in person. In person it has a much deeper tone and does not, as someone on another thread put it, sound like a Corolla moded out.

https://youtu.be/sv8xbBgyf2I

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune-up after installing a new aftermarket exhaust?