Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome or Black nerf bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Chrome or Black nerf bars?

hey y'all,

so I'm stuck deciding between chrome and black nfab nerf bars for my race red 2011 screw cab XLT with chrome package. I want the steps to be out of the way and more sleek so I think that black would look good because it would be less noticeable under the truck. But because I already have the chrome package I think that any black trim would look out of place and like it doesn't fit on the truck. Do y'all have any thoughts? I'll post a picture of the truck later (don't have one on my computer at the moment) so you can see it and if anyone feels up for some photoshop wizardry to compare black to chrome steps.

Thanks alot
Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 PM

This is with the factory boards on it

This is with the running boards removed (truck currently sits like this)

sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
Old 10-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Maybe PD your chrome ones for a while to see if you like it. I'm like you, I've got all that chrome as well, and I'm not a fan of it. But, since that what we both have, I'd stay with the chrome. I'm at a crossroads because of my wheels, black wouldn't look right, and can't find chrome ones I like. I can think of some other things that would look better regarding losing some of that chrome.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
Maybe PD your chrome ones for a while to see if you like it. I'm like you, I've got all that chrome as well, and I'm not a fan of it. But, since that what we both have, I'd stay with the chrome. I'm at a crossroads because of my wheels, black wouldn't look right, and can't find chrome ones I like. I can think of some other things that would look better regarding losing some of that chrome.
I like the chrome trims actually. I think that the blacked out look looks good on black and white trucks but not on other colors (like red). So I don't really want to get rid of the existing chrome trim (for now, I reserve the right to change my mind) but I think chrome steps would be too much chrome. I may plastidip the factory ones and live with that for a while to see what I think.

Are there any photoshop wizards out there that would be willing to mock up the black vs chrome nfab steps?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:43 AM

How many cans of plastidip would do it you think? never used the stuff before, always been opposed to it because it looks cheap and often gets overused. But I guess for just seeing if I like the color and am getting new boards anyway it would be fine for a little
Old 10-20-2014, 03:41 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

3 cans would likely be more than enough. You'd want at least 5 coats on there to make it easier to peel off if you don't care for it.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:37 AM

okay, and where can I get it? homedepot? walmart?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would use chrome nerf bars
Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1800John
I would use chrome nerf bars
that's presently what my gut is leaning towards. I'm having difficulty finding chrome though, most places only carry black that i can find.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:39 PM

Also ideally looking for some wheel to wheel with bed access steps

Quick Reply: Chrome or Black nerf bars?