Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chips Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chips Anyone???

Has anybody heard about the performance chips that are being sold on Ebay and sites like that??? These, so called chips, seem to be nothing more than a way to make the ECU stay in choke mode all of the time. I am not very familiar with perf. chips, but have recently decided to get one for my 98, 4.2, 5 speed, Airaid intake w/Airaid TBS. I plan to purchase the Gibson Sport Truck exhaust and a perf. chip within the next two months, but don't know enough about the chips...Any help with the chips would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if this is okay, but these are the type of 'chips' I am talking about.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search
Old 01-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont buy those, look at www.discountpowerparts.com for a good tuner, the e-bay ships are crap, and not worth the money at all.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

whatever you go dont buy the chips on ebay that are like 5 bucks and say they add 20-25 horsepower, they are just tricking your computer and that cant be good.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the help guys, it's really appreciated. I was only trying to pinch every penny like everybody else. I guess there are some things that you just need to go ahead and pucker up and pay the price to have the right equipment. I'll be doing a little more research on programmers/tuners/chips. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the edge evolution, if you have an 04'-06' right around $325, but worth it, adds 35 HP on 91 octane gas, the display also show everything, 1/4 mile time, 0-60 time, RPM's, avg. fuel economy, instant fuel economy, and alot more, I really like mine.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Default perf. chips

I saw a tuner awhile back that said it could be programmed for 91 octane or 87 octane fuel. It was a fairly costly unit to buy. I think it was a Jet Performance product but i cant remember which one. Or maybe it was Granatelli motorsports....

Anyway, what i would like to know is how different would the tuning be for 91 vs 87 or 89? Is it worth the extra money to get that tuner?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will get more performance with the higher octane. Most programers have the option to use different octanes but if you use 87 your not gonna see much of a difference in power.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Professional

Originally Posted by Turkey Hunter
You will get more performance with the higher octane. Most programers have the option to use different octanes but if you use 87 your not gonna see much of a difference in power.
That is a COMPLETELY UNTRUE statement. Simply adding higher octane gets you 0 power. If you would like to try and prove me wrong i have a Dyno Dynamics Dyno waiting for your "testing" in Dulles VA
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
>>-------->

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lets go

ill take my powerstroke and ill put your little "built and boosted" 350z to shame! this is a sight for ford people not these little tuner freaks! im pushing 900 hp in my 250 and if i cant out run ya you will have a bumper in your rear. oh and fyi high octane will give you a little of a power boost due to the lesser amount of crap in the fuel... so next time dont make your self look dump and bite off more that you can chew
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deer-fear-me27
ill take my powerstroke and ill put your little "built and boosted" 350z to shame! this is a sight for ford people not these little tuner freaks! im pushing 900 hp in my 250 and if i cant out run ya you will have a bumper in your rear. oh and fyi high octane will give you a little of a power boost due to the lesser amount of crap in the fuel... so next time dont make your self look dump and bite off more that you can chew
Back off Bambi stalker. He owns a 2010 FX4.

And you're dead wrong on higher octane. You will not see ANY additional power unless you advance the timing (which most tuners/programmers offer in the 91+ octane performance tune).

Chomp. Chomp.

Quick Reply: Chips Anyone???