Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I tune my leased F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Dont Hesitate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I tune my leased F-150?

I want to tune my leased 2011 F-150 but if I tune it would anything happen when I bring the truck back to Ford for a trade in? Also will it void any warranties?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Ahead and tune it.. just reload the stock set-up before you take it back..
Old 02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

1st its not your truck. 2nd yes it can void parts of your warenty. 3rd if they find out about it you could be charged a penalty at lease end. I believe if you read the fine print there is a clause about modifing the truck. If they scan it when you return it they will know its been reflashed even if you return it to stock tune. If you play be prepaired to pay.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Tuning it does not automatically void your warranty. BUT if anything goes wrong and the tune is found to be the source of the problem you will be sol. You cant just put it back to stock after frying your engine or trans and think all is well. This is very rare but it can and does happen.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bubbabud
1st its not your truck. 2nd yes it can void parts of your warenty. 3rd if they find out about it you could be charged a penalty at lease end. I believe if you read the fine print there is a clause about modifing the truck. If they scan it when you return it they will know its been reflashed even if you return it to stock tune. If you play be prepaired to pay.
I call BS..
just removing the battery re-flashes the CPU..
there is no date logging or time stamps recorded in the Ford "brain"
yes, if you total your truck with a re-flashed tune on board it is going to stay there, but at that point its the insurance companies property , not fords or the "user" and I guaranty they wont give a rats; if it has a different "tune" in place..
if its anything less than total? unless you take it to ford for repair, the repair shop wont give a rats either.. in any case, if you need to take it to ford, like I said earlier, re-flash back to stock and all are happy..

and as far as voiding the warranty? the only issue you would see is if they can "prove" the failure was tune related..
i.e.
if the AC goes out, its not related to the tune, so your covered..
if you loose an injector? they might balk,
so don't listen to the nay Sayers;
do what you want..
Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Dont Hesitate

so its sounding like you guys think its a bad idea huh?
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Dont Hesitate

Originally Posted by Caddy0
I call BS..
yes, if you total your truck with a re-flashed tune on board it is going to stay there, but at that point its the insurance companies property , not fords or the "user" and I guaranty they wont give a rats; if it has a different "tune" in place..
if its anything less than total? unless you take it to ford for repair, the repair shop wont give a rats either.. in any case, if you need to take it to ford, like I said earlier, re-flash back to stock and all are happy..

and as far as voiding the warranty? the only issue you would see is if they can "prove" the failure was tune related..
i.e.
do what you want..
ok cool thanks for the positive help on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Technically you can do whatever you want to the truck. However you may be in violation of the lease agreement. If they found out you had I'm sure they would be pissed since your only leasing it. I wouldn't reccomend it, but you can if you want.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

I call BS..
just removing the battery re-flashes the CPU..It readapts the ECU. The PCM stays flashed at all times
there is no date logging or time stamps recorded in the Ford "brain" It does count reflashes, but 99.99% of the time this isn't done because it most dealers don't have the ability the ones at Ford that write the stock tunes have.
Most dealers won't know or care if it is flashed. MM act protects against warranty work, but if you void the contract that's different. But if it is in the lease about modifications, that's your ethics whether you can go to sleep at night if you breach the lease.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

I call BS..

i.e.
do what you want..
It may be BS to you but if you read my post I said parts of the warenty. And you would be amaised at the info that is stored in the new computers. IT aint your fathers Oldsmobile. Its a lease vehicle so it is owned by the leasing c. and as i stated the contract spellsout mods. so BS all you want at the very least its a fraud against the owner of the truck. You might very well get away scott free and you might not.. you play just be prepaired to pay.

Quick Reply: Can I tune my leased F-150?