Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed cargo system

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM
2008 XLT Supercrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bed cargo system

Hi. I have a 2008 Super Crew. As I guess they all do, it has a 5.5' bed and it only has the little tie downs for a management system. As I looked at various other trucks I saw a number of interesting cargo systems and noted that Ford had one for its 6.5' beds. However, other than one of those flip-over "bed extenders" I haven't seen anything for the 5.5" beds. Are there any out there and, if so, what are people's experience with them. I would hate to return to using the Harbor Freight $7 cargo bar that I used with my Dakota that the F-150 replaced . Thanks for any comments, opinions or info you can give. I would like to pick something out before having the Line-x bed liner installed, in case there is a conflict of any sort.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM

I did some research myself and it appears Ford doesn't offer their cargo management system for the 5.5 ft bed.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NHSD
Hi. I have a 2008 Super Crew. As I guess they all do, it has a 5.5' bed and it only has the little tie downs for a management system. As I looked at various other trucks I saw a number of interesting cargo systems and noted that Ford had one for its 6.5' beds. However, other than one of those flip-over "bed extenders" I haven't seen anything for the 5.5" beds. Are there any out there and, if so, what are people's experience with them. I would hate to return to using the Harbor Freight $7 cargo bar that I used with my Dakota that the F-150 replaced . Thanks for any comments, opinions or info you can give. I would like to pick something out before having the Line-x bed liner installed, in case there is a conflict of any sort.

Whatever you put in there...Line-X removes all bolts and parts before spraying and then re-installs.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Cargo systems

I to have a new Lariat F-150 5.5 bed and I really like Ford's Cargo System . I emailed Jac Products who make that product for Ford and asked them if you could shorten the rails to fit shorter bed. No reply . I know the bolt holes are not prepped for 5.5 bed , but other than that does any one know of any reason why it can't be adapted ?
And ,or any recommendations on after market cargo systems ?
Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
2008 XLT Supercrew

Given no suggestions for a cargo management system to fit the 5.5' beds, what can folks tell me about the flip over "bed extenders". What are some decent brands/models that I should consider and which should I definitely avoid.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2008 Super Crew to replace my 2001. I had a bed extender in the old truck and got one for the new truck. I also had/have a drop-in bedliner in both trucks. What I like most about the bed extender is that you can put stuff in the bed and it won't bang around, because the bed extender, when folded into the bed, shortens the bed...ideal for small loads. And then, when I'm hauling stuff to the dump or unloading my boat for the winter, I can fold the extender out on to the tailgate, making more room, and keeping stuff from falling out.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Here's something kind of interesting for tool & misc storage. The only
drawback I see for me is that it covers the rear tie down bracket.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B7VSPW?...0&linkCode=asn
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the topic of "Cargo Management",

Here is a link to my gallery: https://www.f150forum.com/members/tungstontiller-3707/albums/not-my-truck/

I took some pictures at the dealer. If you search, I started a topic a few months back about it. At the time I was exploring the idea of retrofitting the system on to my 07'.

Looks like a NO GO, as you'll see in the pictures, the "nuts" appear to be recessed behind the bed skin, between the outer sheet metal.

-Tung
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM

The hole prep that is missing on the 5.5 bed is a concern for adapting the rail system. I wouldn't want to use sheet metal screws, that's for sure. Does anyone know of a hollow wall system that would apply to this situation. I 'd think there would be something for the retro fit market, just have not searched it out yet.
I'm going in for my 3K service this week and I'm going to find somebody at the dealership that can answer these questions. I'll pass on what i find out.

Last edited by JSWISS; 11-17-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Cargo Bed System

I had my 3K service and was then directed to the collision center and spoke w/ head mechanic about adapting the rail system to the 5.5 bed.
He has not physically seen this system yet but from info in brochure , he see's no reason that it won't work. The fastening system that he showed me is called "NUTSERT", best description is a threaded rivet. Google nutserts and you will get educated real fast. The nutserts would be fixed into the hollow padded out spaces of truck bed. I wouldn't give these the same load rating as the prepped 6.5 bed, but for average use I am going to bet that it's good to go.

Quick Reply: bed cargo system