Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAK MX4: How to Carry Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAK MX4: How to Carry Bikes?

Hi all, does anybody have suggestions for how to carry bikes with a BAK MX4 cover?

Thinking of just mounting a fork mount near the cab of the truck which would still allow the cover to be folded up and down and still provide full access to the bed. Wondering if it is that simple. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 46 Likes on 14 Posts

what about a hitch mount?
Old 11-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Why not fold the cover up and put them in the back of the bed?
Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I need access to the bed, preferably covered so I can store my camping grata there. Thinking if I mount a fork mount on top of the cover, the bike can just sit on top of the cover and wouldn't affect the function of the cover. The cover is rated for 450lbs so weight shouldn't be an issue. Wondering if I should just drill it into the cover?

Hitch mount would work but the truck is long enough as is plus that would eliminate ability to pull a trailer and bikes at same time. Surely someone has tried what I'm thinking?
Old 11-23-2016, 01:16 PM

FYI, I stumbled across this which seems to be a good option because the racks could be repositioned and completely removed when needed. Think I'm going to give this a try.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/2012-f...ike-racks.html
Old 11-23-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckie33
Thanks for the responses.

I need access to the bed, preferably covered so I can store my camping grata there. Thinking if I mount a fork mount on top of the cover, the bike can just sit on top of the cover and wouldn't affect the function of the cover. The cover is rated for 450lbs so weight shouldn't be an issue. Wondering if I should just drill it into the cover?

Hitch mount would work but the truck is long enough as is plus that would eliminate ability to pull a trailer and bikes at same time. Surely someone has tried what I'm thinking?
IMO I would go with the hitch mount if you want access to your bed. If you're worried about pulling a trailer, could you then make a mount on the trailer or store the bikes in the trailer instead?

Otherwise, the option you gave with the mount on the bed rails looks ok if you're not wanting immediate access to the bed.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Hi all, does anybody have suggestions for how to carry bikes with a BAK MX4 cover?

Thinking of just mounting a fork mount near the cab of the truck which would still allow the cover to be folded up and down and still provide full access to the bed. Wondering if it is that simple. Thanks!
FYI, I stumbled across this which seems to be a good option because the racks could be repositioned and completely removed when needed. Think I'm going to give this a try.

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/2012-f...ike-racks.html
Here's my solution:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/bakfli...roject-294321/
Old 12-04-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by MCDavis
Looks good! Thanks for sharing. Any issues with tire rub on the top of the cover for either bike in the picture?
Old 12-04-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

Looks good! Thanks for sharing. Any issues with tire rub on the top of the cover for either bike in the picture?
None what so ever.
I've since moved onto a Peragon cover for a few other reasons.