Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield

Just 3 weeks after I bought my brand new $50k truck, a monumental disaster occurred.. A 2" rock bounced up and dinged the front of my hood. I was mortified as it both dented and scraped the hood down to the metal. A couple of body shops said they would need to repaint the entire hood and replace the decal to fix it, which I thought was a bit excessive to fix such a petty ding.

The thing I kept telling myself was that I should've gotten a bug deflector. I previously thought about it because I always had these dings on past trucks, but I didn't get one because the dings were always so minor... except this time it wasn't minor.

After a lot of looking, I ended up getting the AVS Aeroskin II Matte Black Textured Hood Protector. I got it on Amazon for $70. Link here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This doesn't advertise as a bug deflector, but rather a rock chip protector, which was exactly what I was looking for. I liked the fact that it was low profile, and actually a "skin-tight" fit to the hood.

Installation was super easy. It has mounting tape with some instructions on how to stick it on straight the first time. I'm usually paranoid about sticking things on crooked, but I can vouch that this one is very easy to get on right using the technique shown in their instructions. Yeah, I didn't like the idea of using mounting tape on paint, but I got over it.

All in all, I think it looks great! Well, at least in my opinion. I could see everyone going one of two ways: Either it makes the truck look more aggressive, or I just slapped on a giant unibrow. Either way, it covers the scrape/dent.

The guard has a lip at the end that makes it look like an attempt to direct bugs over the windshield. Does it work? My thoughts are that it's probably too small to really make a difference, so if you're looking for an actual bug guard, you might be disappointed. However, if you're looking for hood chip protection that's low profile, this may be the solution for you.

I didn't read anywhere about it being compatible with an automatic car wash, but with how low profile it was, I can't imagine it being an issue. And if it does come off during the wash, it'll probably save me a lawsuit from it flying off and hitting someone else on the highway.

All in all, I'm happy with the results, except that while mounting it, I noticed ANOTHER large chip next to my headlight... ah crap... Well I guess I have to get over that these things are gonna happen and there's nothing I can do about it. After all, it is a truck that's built to handle harsh conditions. And just a warning to all, that 2" rock is uncaptured and still at large, so beware!
Attached Thumbnails AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0355.jpg   AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0356.jpg   AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0365.jpg   AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0366.jpg   AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0368.jpg  

AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0369.jpg   AVS Aeroskin II Hood Shield-img_0370.jpg  
Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have always wondered:
1) do big deflectors work?
2) do they affect mileage and/or cause noise on the highways?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you hear any difference in wind noise?
Old 11-04-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks good...

Is it paintable?
Does it sit directly on the hood?
Old 11-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by UncleFester
I have always wondered:
1) do big deflectors work?
2) do they affect mileage and/or cause noise on the highways?
I often wondered if bug deflectors worked. From what I've read, they "somewhat" work. Given that the manufacturer claims only chip protection and no bug deflection on this particular product, it probably does little to the airflow. Maybe someone with a big deflector could comment.

Given how big and flat our front grilles are, I doubt anyone would notice a difference in mileage, especially given how low profile this one is. Have you ever seen an airstream flow over a pickup? Not pretty.. My personal opinion is that the slight change in front aerodynamics are overshadowed by the huge drag created at the back of the pickup.

I'll have to get back to you on the noise. I haven't been able to hit the highway yet.

Originally Posted by TTRick
Can you hear any difference in wind noise?
Since installing, I've only been around town and haven't hit the highway yet. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Originally Posted by HwyCycle
Looks good...

Is it paintable?
Does it sit directly on the hood?
It's a pretty generic grade of plastic that I'd imagine would be paintable; however, it does have a pretty deep texture that would probably need to be sanded off.

It sits directly on the hood, and it sits "skin-tight" as advertised.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 PM

To those who asked, I didn't hear any kind of noise on the highway today. The highest I got through Houston traffic was 70 mph, and I heard no difference
The following users liked this post:
UncleFester (11-08-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of these installed. I have not heard any additional noise on the highway. I have not noticed a change in fuel consumption. I have noticed less bug splatters on my windshield. I commonly drive from Norfolk VA to Pittsburgh, PA and back. I also have run it through the car wash a few times with no issues. (I know, I must care about my truck using a car wash....)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. I'm not sure of the details, but it looks like there is a $20 rebate being offered on the product right now too. I think I'll order one tomorrow. Any advice on the application, or just follow the directions?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Too bad this style doesn't exist for my generation.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AJames323
Thanks for the review. I'm not sure of the details, but it looks like there is a $20 rebate being offered on the product right now too. I think I'll order one tomorrow. Any advice on the application, or just follow the directions?
There are some good videos on YouTube for the regular aeroskin that are applicable to the 2. I would suggest start the application on the bottom edge. If you start on the top the bottom may not be I'm the right spot to adhere. Might help to have second pair of hands that can hold it in place while the tape backing is pulled.