Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Peragon Bed Cover Installed....This One w/ a BedRug

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Default Another Peragon Bed Cover Installed....This One w/ a BedRug

I've had my truck for almost 2 months now and travel quite a bit with my job. I oftentimes need more than the back seat of the SuperCrew as I have clients I drive around and need the bed to keep my luggage and computer and other items with me. However, in the TX heat that isn't an option without a good cover and bed liner.

I wanted a solid fold up type that I could still use the bed with, but that would also provide more security than a soft fold or roll up would. I had almost made my decision, when I started reading posts from the President of Peragon and we got him convinced to do a Group Buy for them

The Peragon fits my needs in all aspects. I did not want a fold up that folded up on top of the bed. That just doesn't work for what I need. I also wanted something easily removed and something that would be relatively low profile on top of the bed. The company's service level is something all companies should strive to have. It is absolutely amazing what they have already done so far.

I will say it is not 100% perfect, but nothing is. In working with their support team, they determined that the bracket that is the ramp and housing for the struts was bent and is part of the reason I am having a few small issues. That bracket is on the way free of charge. They have emailed back and forth with me at least 10 times and spent almost 45 minutes on the phone yesterday getting it figured out giving me all sorts of suggestions and questions to most accurately solve my problem. That conversation solved 95% of the issue that I had so now hopefully the bracket will do the rest

After getting it all fixed and everything done yesterday, I cleaned up the truck and took the time to put a coat of wax on the Peragon cover as well. I have 3 different size backing plates for my Porter Cable buffer, the smallest being 3.5". I normally use this for small parts, wheels, and my motorcycle, but it worked perfectly for the cover to try and stay away from the rubber seals and still get almost the entire surface covered.

All in all VERY pleased with the cover and look forward to having the rest of my small issue resolved next week. Thanks Peragon!

On with the pictures:

Bare bed

The tailgate step and pole are a little tricky with the BedRug, but after about 20-30 minutes and a little patience, it fits almost perfect

BedRug complete with factory tie downs re-installed and Peragon fully collapsed

Peragon cover after wax application, but before final buffing

And the last three pictures out in the sun with it all closed up and the wax buffed clean

Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. Nice job.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To nice to get dirty.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Looks good.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Retractable Bed Cover

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TJFX2EB
I wanted a solid fold up type that I could still use the bed with, but that would also provide more security than a soft fold or roll up would. I had almost made my decision, when I started reading posts from the President of Peragon and we got him convinced to do a Group Buy for them
(...)
The Peragon fits my needs in all aspects. I did not want a fold up that folded up on top of the bed. That just doesn't work for what I need. I also wanted something easily removed and something that would be relatively low profile on top of the bed. The company's service level is something all companies should strive to have. It is absolutely amazing what they have already done so far.

All in all VERY pleased with the cover and look forward to having the rest of my small issue resolved next week. Thanks Peragon!
TJFX2EB -

Beautiful install! Really nice pictures. Wow, does that Peragon cover look sharp on your truck!

We'll get the ramp taken care of for you this week and if you need anything else, we'll be happy to help.

Our entire team - from engineering to production to support - has worked hard to deliver a great product and ongoing ownership experience. I'm really glad to hear we've achieved that goal with you and thank you for taking the time to tell others!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Wish I had found this before I got my G2.

The only thing is that with the G2 the panels fold up against the back window and seems like it would give you extra room over the peragon.

I really like the way it opens and closes and seems to be built better. I am really curious as to how much water gets in. Say you have to open while it is raining and you have standing water on the panels, when collapsing, how much water "dumps" into the bed as the water runs off the panels?

Also it would seem that if you loaded your truck bed, you would have to leave the room for the panels to collapse into, your load could slide around and block the cover from opening.

I still may sell mine and try this as the customer support seems great and it is made in the USA with higher quality parts.

Last edited by RES4CUE; 09-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a great looking box cover

when i do find some $$$ for a cover i think that will be the one

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE

The only thing is that with the G2 the panels fold up against the back window and seems like it would give you extra room over the peragon.

I really like the way it opens and closes and seems to be built better. I am really curious as to how much water gets in. Say you have to open while it is raining and you have standing water on the panels, when collapsing, how much water "dumps" into the bed as the water runs off the panels?

Also it would seem that if you loaded your truck bed, you would have to leave the room for the panels to collapse into, your load could slide around and block the cover from opening.

I still may sell mine and try this as the customer support seems great and it is made in the USA with higher quality parts.
You bring up some really good points and I will try to address them as best I can. I haven't had any rain yet, but I have washed my truck and the cover since i have owned it, so I can answer a bit to that also.

1. In a rainstorm, you will get water coming in on the corners. Not very much, but I'm sure there will be some. The seals are pretty tight against all surfaces when the brackets are tightened down, but in and around the tailgate and up at the front of the bed are of course going to be areas prone to a little water.

2. As far as water "dumping" in when you open it, I can't really answer that. I did open mine when it had water on it, but since I have a BedRug, I don't really know how much fell in or got in the bed. If it was a lot, the Rug would have gotten a darker color, but I didn't see anything like that.

3. One of the reasons I ordered this cover is because it DOESN'T open against the back window of the truck when fully opened. I had one like that in my last truck and hated it. If you had to leave it open going down the road you couldn't hardly see out the back window and it would bounce against the window at times and drove me crazy.

4. For loading the bed up, as long as what's in the bed stays BEHIND or further rearward of those 45 degree angled "ramps" on each side of the bed, the cover will open and close as it should with no interference. There is always a possibility of load shifting around, but again as long as its behind those ramps, you will be ok. Those ramps are almost in line with the FRONT of the wheel wells, so you MAY lose a foot or so of bed space if you need to load it up that way. I chose the BedRug also for this reason as things very rarely shift on that type of material and surface. I'm sure it will happen, but very rarely. Worse case yes, you may have to climb in there, but to be honest, if I think something I am carrying will cause an issue like that, I will just collapse the cover beforehand to be sure.

Bottom line, there is no perfect cover. Hell if there were, we wouldn't have hundreds of options to choose from Peragon has gotten itself into a pretty niche market with the features their cover provides over some others. Couple that with their impecable service and made it the good old U.S. of A and you've got a winner in my book
Old 09-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Thanks for the reply! It is a slick looking cover!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Retractable Bed Cover

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE

RES4CUE -

If you're thinking about selling your current cover to switch to a Peragon truck bed cover, then we're doing something right. Glad to hear it!

All good questions...TJFX2EB did a great job answering them, so I'll just add a couple thoughts.

Our cover is completely flat from cab to tailgate so water is free to run off without barriers. Each panel is one solid piece of aluminum, so we don't have a frame surrounding each panel that could create a raised edge and allow water to pool in the middle of the cover. The picture I've attached below was taken just a few seconds after we were running a garden hose over the cover. You can see most of the water was able to run off, leaving just scattered drops that bead up on the powder coating. Yes, if you opened the cover at that point you would get some water dripping into the bed from the folded panels, but not much.

An expandable cargo bar can help manage cargo to keep the area where our cover retracts free. Several companies offer nice cargo bars for around $50-$75. Having one in your truck bed comes in handy for other uses too.

We compete well against other retractable truck bed covers that roll up into a fixed canister. I had a 2004 F150 Lariat with the 5.5' bed and a 2007 Lincoln Mark LT with the 5.5' bed. On many family trips I loaded that extra short bed all the way from the front wall to the tailgate. Every time I did that, I was thankful I didn't have a canister consuming bed space when I needed every cubic inch. True, I couldn't open the cover with the bed fully loaded, but I'd rather have the space when I need it than be stuck working around a canister when loading suitcases, coolers and gear. With a little advance thought, I enjoyed full use of my bed. I simply put the items I needed easy access to by the tailgate. Items I knew I wouldn't need until we arrived at our destination were put toward the front.

Our cover also quick releases without tools in under 30 seconds so you have the full length of your bed available when you need to haul larger cargo.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails Another Peragon Bed Cover Installed....This One w/ a BedRug-img_3385.jpg  

Quick Reply: Another Peragon Bed Cover Installed....This One w/ a BedRug