Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed on Mods

Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed on Mods

I need some imput from some who have already done what I am about to start doing. The truck is a 00 F150 7700 with a 5.4, A/T, 2wd, extended cab. It just turned 157K miles.

This is what I have done so far:

1. A good tuneup, including plugs, fuel filter, and a fuel injection service.

2. 3 inch exhaust after the Y pipe

3.K&N filter in the stock box that has been opened up for more flow, and a removed silencer in the stock intake tube.

4. New 265-75-16 tires. Slightly bigger than stock.

Now I want your imput on what to do next, here is the list of possibilities:

Edge tuner - Heard good reviews
E fans - heard good reviews
Throttle body spacer - heard mixed reviews
Pulleys - heard NO reviews

I am looking for MPG increase and Performance, in that order. What order would you do these in knowing what I am looking for in the truck? Or is there something else you would do? I dont have alot of $$$, but I want to get some of these done before my baby is born and I have NO $$$.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are looking to get a mpg return on ANY of thise items, you will have to wait a few years, you are better off just spending that money on gas.

now if you are looking on performance, get a edge, and stay away from the spacer.

I know underdrive pullys and efans were the best things to do on my old dakota, but I have not herd anything about them on f150's, so I cant help you there.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 AM

Well i would do all of them but I've heard with the under drive pulley that you'll gain up to 2 mpg, but that was from a cars position, but i would go to rpm outlet for some of this stuff since they have reviews on the products.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Ro™2k0F150

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well... on the TB Spacer.. depending how you use it affects it.. may be a piece of 2" steel but, I got 3 mpg gain from it.. If you one of those guys who stomps on the gas pedal and expect to save gas while you stomp on it.. then the spacer would work the other way..
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM

I have an '06 F150 extended cab xlt. Its a 2wd. Stock suspension etc. I am looking to get a lift of some kind on it and some tires. Not looking to spend much money. I was told that a cheap way that works that i could do this is to put 3" rubber block spacers between my leaf springs in the back. then have 3" strut extension blocks in the front. would this be safe and look evenly lifted? after that, i was going to put some 36" buckshots or boggers-they are cheaper than buying bfg's mud terrain. is this a good idea to do to my truck? is it safe and will it look good?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote=blown240;24782]I need some imput from some who have already done what I am about to start doing. The truck is a 00 F150 7700 with a 5.4, A/T, 2wd, extended cab. It just turned 157K miles.

This is what I have done so far:

Originally Posted by blown240
. A good tuneup, including plugs, fuel filter, and a fuel injection service.
Clean your MAF too.

2. 3 inch exhaust after the Y pipe

3.K&N filter in the stock box that has been opened up for more flow, and a removed silencer in the stock intake tube.

4. New 265-75-16 tires. Slightly bigger than stock.
Nice....

Edge tuner - Heard good reviews
Negative on the edge...take the $$ you would have wasted on the TB spacer (which is worthless) and the edge and get an SCT tuner from www.VMPtuning.com or www.Troyerperformance.com or a Gryphon(custom Edge) from www.powerhungryperformance.com.

E fans - heard good reviews
For your needs....not worth it.

Throttle body spacer - heard mixed reviews
See above answer

Pulleys - heard NO reviews
Eh...not needed either...save the money for the little one.

I am looking for MPG increase and Performance, in that order. What order would you do these in knowing what I am looking for in the truck? Or is there something else you would do? I dont have alot of $$$, but I want to get some of these done before my baby is born and I have NO $$$.
The custom tuner will be your best increase. The imporvement with the performance it gives you will increase your mpg's a little if you stay out of the gas..the rest of it does not have a good cost to benefit ratio IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice Needed on Mods