Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for Building my 2010 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice for Building my 2010 XLT

Hey,

Trying to get some advice about building my truck.

2010 F-150 XLT 4x4, bought it with 18k miles in nearly stock conditions.

I'm on the slow train due to being just graduated from college and super poor, so it's a one thing at a time kinda deal.

I'd like to start with either a leveling kit or a friend highly recommended Bilstein shocks in the front instead. Was thinking of doing a roughcountry 2.5" level, which would run me $100 plus $280 for installation and alignment (that's the lowest quote I've gotten so far, which seems super high to me).

The other option is save up from Bilstein adjustable ride height front shocks, which will be I think about $800.

I tow about 1x per month, go in the snow a lot, and spend a lot of time on dirt roads. Not necessarily into "off-roading" as a hobby but I'm offroad a lot as necessity (to get where I want to go).

Any advice?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Just replied to your post in Chris's thread... shoulda looked here. Id stay away from the spacer lifts. There's always issues with them.

A set of coils up front would be your best bet, adjustable is nice... but not necessary. I like that option because things start to sag over time or with other heavy mods like a winch or 2nd batt. And I use my truck in ways that it benefits me.

I tow a 6,500lb load regularly and have no issues. I also dont run a swaybar so there's more body roll than anyone here would experience.

Are you able to turn a wrench? Sticking in a set of coilovers is very easy. Hardest thing you'll run into is breaking that bottom coilover bolt free.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:05 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

Not really a fan of spacer lifts my self either. If you were just doing it for the looks and staying on the street then I wouldn't really see an issue. However, I like the idea of having a shock/strut that was designed for being leveled/lifted. I know plenty of people run spacers without issue, on road and off road, but its just not for me. Plus, the factory struts aren't exactly that great in my opinion either.

If you really want to do this right away and a spacer level is all you can afford, then I would say go for it. I would consider some other options first.

I think the Bilstein's that you're referring are actually the F150Lifts Boss Adjustable Coilovers. Those are a great option if you can afford them.

2009-2013 F150LIFTS BOSS COILOVERS

Otherwise, you could consider the actual Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks. They are adjustable at set heights, but you have to have them off the truck and remove the spring to adjust them. Unlike the F150Lifts Boss coilovers which you can adjust on the truck. Only thing with the Bilstein 5100's is you'll have to remove your OEM spring and install it on the them.

2009-2013 F150 4WD Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Leveling Front Shocks

Just beware that some have had the lower mount weld on the Bilstein's break while offroading, I think it even happened to a couple people while on the street too. But there are also plenty who have run them without issue.

Nice truck BTW. Looks like a great start for a build.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice Chris & Krookz! I don't mind waiting until I can afford something better than strut extenders. I actually called a local shop asking about the Bilsteins and they told me to go with strut extenders because the Bilsteins have a super stiff ride.

Do either of you have recommendations for a specific coil that would be good for a 2.25-2.5" level in the front? Or a particular brand? I'm not attached to the Bilstein brand if they have a lot of issues. I don't need top of line, would like to keep it under $800 for parts.

My buddy specifically mentioned the 5100 shocks. Not sure the dis/advantages of just putting those on vs a coilover. He has them on his Silverado and loves them.

Krookz I can do the basics. I was going to install the strut extenders myself, but my buddy that recommended the Bilsteins talked me out of doing my own install.

Last edited by sgleat; 10-30-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

We both run Icon, but I ran Fox on a previous truck. The only real differences are the color from what I can feel. Fox has a less expensive adjustable coilover in the 800 range: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/985...Coilovers.html
Old 10-30-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Nice truck.

First three things should be tailgate security gatekeeper, master lock etc.
Then if your tailgate has a lock, Pop and lock or similar so you can lock it remotely or from in the truck.
Third Deezee tailgate assist so your tailgate will not slam down.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

sgleat ...
FFT ...

You'll find posting in the
Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
section more helpful/appropriate than Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation posts.

-REFERENCE-

REASON: There are many owners there with experience regarding your intended mod's.

Quick Reply: Advice for Building my 2010 XLT