Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Second Battery, Battery Isolator Question

Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a Second Battery, Battery Isolator Question

Hi all, been lurking a long time, but just now decided to post with this question. I've seen similar systems, but have never seen the exact answer to my question. [I did search around.]

I'm wanting to add a second battery to my truck in a custom built battery box in the bed of the truck under the tonneau cover. I guess my questions are as follows;

What is the best battery isolator for the price, on the market right now? I've seen a few reviews, but I'm curious if anyone has any personal opinions?

Because Battery#1 and Battery#2 will be located apart from each other, [Battery#1 will be under the hood, Battery #2 will be in the truck bed.] what gauge of wire do I need to connect the two if the distance from battery to battery is less than 10 feet?

Do I need an inline fuse between each component? As an example, the = is an inline fuse. Do I need; Battery1=Isolator=Battery2? [I WILL be using an inline fuse from Battery2=Power Inverter.]

Any advice on this subject is always greatly appreciated!

[I should note, I'm not using this for stereo or sound equipment, so I don't think that a cap-bank will work for me, and doesn't seem necessary.]
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM

I use the stinger sgp35 for dual batteries..
I wouldnt use any wire smaller than 4ga to connect batteries, always fuse a +12v wire.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but there are a lot of marine applications that use 'isolated' batteries. You may want to look at some boating sites/stores.

Last edited by shotgun; 02-04-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Well, my goal is to replace the 6CD changer in my 1997 F150 Extended Cab with a power inverter, however, I want the power inverter to be on a separate battery. While I don't plan on using this for industrial applications, I would like to be able to charge any power tools or spotlights I have, as well as my laptop. I understand this solution is probably a bit of overkill, but because I use this as a very utilitarian vehicle, I don't mind going a little overboard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a Second Battery, Battery Isolator Question