Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 5.0 Solo Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 5.0 Solo Exhaust

I recently installed the Solo Dual Exhaust kit (from Stage 3 Motorsports) on my 2013 STX SCAB 5.0; seat of the pants evaluation shows that with the exhaust I have much (LOTS!) more torque and hp - I did a couple of back to back videos, and as soon as I can figure out how to upload them I will.
Essential "seat of the pants" evaluation is thus: I now have a much faster/quicker truck, simply due to the exhaust!
Details are as stated earlier, with the addition of an AirRaid CAI installed in Dec, 2013; I've been using this in a stock configuration for over a year, and have been averaging 18.5mpg in my "normal/daily" drive.
I did a (somewhat lacking) video of my truck with the current configuration of AirRaid CAI, and stock everything else; Traction Control OFF, driver's window open, and I then recorded some video.
Next step was to install the new exhaust, which took almost exactly 3 hours, start to finish.
I then recorded another video, starting from approximately the same spot, TC OFF, driver's window open, but with the addition of a friend in the passenger seat (app. 180 pounds).
The difference in a full throttle start (or as close as I could replicate) was astounding - in a "stock" configuration I got a decent start, a little intake noise (OK, a lot) and we went down the road.
With no other changes than the Solo exhaust, same start conditions PLUS an additional 180 pounds, I was easily (and surprisingly) able to spin the rear wheels, all while duplicating every other condition I was able to.
So,,,, what's the bottom line?
I REALLY enjoy my new exhaust,,, HOWEVER,,, I made the mistake of not ordering the optional resonator - my wife liked the fact that she couldn't hear my truck; I hated the fact that I couldn't hear my truck,,,,,
The Solo dual exhaust is absolutely one of the best performance upgrades I have seen - "seat of the pants" evaluation is that the rear wheels have much more torque and HP - enough to spin the tires when without the exhaust I couldn't.
The only caveat I would add is that if you are at all concerned about noise levels, get the optional resonator - it'll make your wife happy!

KevinL

EDIT: Anyone got an idea on how to upload large mp4 files?

Last edited by KJLong; 04-01-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Load your video onto YouTube or PhotoBucket and then put a link on here, easy.

As far as your butt dyno, glad you think you feel more but all you did was swap a quiet free-flowing exhaust for a loud free-flowing exhaust. A cat-back does nothing for hp, just sound. By the way, I too have the same exhaust. Glad you like it though, I love mine too. One of my best mods.

I have a first startup video and also a drive around video I did right after my install. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to install and I am a picky SOB. Great fit and finish.

Enjoy your exhaust!!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added the Solo 4" single to my 5.0. I love the sound, it doesn't drone too bad, but honestly it did nothing that I could tell for performance. It took me a little less than an hour to install in the driveway. The F150 stock is quiet but they did their homework for flow.

After the exhaust, I added an AIRAID CAI, BBK 85 mm TB and 5 star 87 Perf/tow tune. That seemed to make a difference in the seat of the pants performance feeling department. If I had it to do over, I would have just done the tune and maybe a Flowmaster muffler for a little more sound.

Solo does a good job with their products and I would recommend them.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Talking

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 Solo Exhaust