Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 aftermarket Key/Fob Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2005 aftermarket Key/Fob Hybrid

So I found out you can buy the key/fob hybrids online for older model F150, Ive wanted one since they came out for the newer vehicles.So I bought one and had it cut from my current key, just to find out I bought one that didn't have a Transponder chip installed. So my question is, Are the transponder chips programmed to the Key or to the truck security system? If I rip apart the plastic on my current key, can I place the chip inside the new cut key and have it still start my truck?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Yes, you can rip apart your new key and place the chip in the new one. Just be careful they are very fragile. Also it needs to be inside the new key in a place where it can still be read. The chip is programmed to the truck so you could technically take it out and glue it to somewhere inside the column near the transponder receiver but then you're basically bypassing the PATS security system and a chipped key is no longer needed to start the truck. Be smart and be carful when doing this mod.

Quick Reply: 2005 aftermarket Key/Fob Hybrid