Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not the gt500 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Why not the gt500 motor?

So i had a question that maybe some one can answer , why didn't ford use there brains and put in the gt500 motor in the raptor?? Its a
SVT product the same 6.2 they put in other models. If they would have put the gt500 motor in the raptor the sales would probably be off the hook!!!!! Could you imagine, stock too.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Aus nichts wird nichts

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sales are already off the hook......
Unless you find one on the lot its at least a 3 month wait if you order.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of things...talking to SVT engineers, they said they actually pulled backed HP intentionally. HP is a killer in these types of trucks. It was designed for suspension. sometimes HP works against you in the desert believe it or not. You can have too much and then it over drives the balance and suspension design elements.

Also...looks like Ford is all done with the dealers taking orders for Raptors....If it is not in their allocation, you may not get it if you order it. I know a person that this is happening to right now.

Either the dealer has to reduce his allocation for the one he is ordering or you have to wait until his allocation unit is built and buy that one.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also was wonder why SVT didnt just drop the 6.2 in the GT500?? Would it fit? Any info in the 5.0 motor??
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman 21
I also was wonder why SVT didnt just drop the 6.2 in the GT500?? Would it fit? Any info in the 5.0 motor??
Iron big block in a pony car = lousy handeling to much forward weight bias never did see a 429 cobra that would stay on the track [road course]
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

K. Makes sense. How about the 5.8 in the Raptor??
Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 PM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-SVT
A couple of things...talking to SVT engineers, they said they actually pulled backed HP intentionally. HP is a killer in these types of trucks. It was designed for suspension. sometimes HP works against you in the desert believe it or not. You can have too much and then it over drives the balance and suspension design elements.

Also...looks like Ford is all done with the dealers taking orders for Raptors....If it is not in their allocation, you may not get it if you order it. I know a person that this is happening to right now.

Either the dealer has to reduce his allocation for the one he is ordering or you have to wait until his allocation unit is built and buy that one.
Why would they hold back to the same HP in my street truck then? It pisses me off how strong the 6.2 can be and they limited (no pun intended) it like they did. Just my tune and CAI made it so much better.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvaight
Why would they hold back to the same HP in my street truck then? It pisses me off how strong the 6.2 can be and they limited (no pun intended) it like they did. Just my tune and CAI made it so much better.

I have to agree with that also....Mike (5-Star) really woke my rig up with a simple tune, exhaust, and K&N. I did not do the cold air because I want to get Mikes version with the lid on the box. I'm worried about injection of water, especially with some of my antics in driving habits!!!

I am still thinking about a supercharger....but that is just in the pipe dram stage right now.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 AM
ETTYOCEO ®

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA-SVT

I have to agree with that also....Mike (5-Star) really woke my rig up with a simple tune, exhaust, and K&N. I did not do the cold air because I want to get Mikes version with the lid on the box. I'm worried about injection of water, especially with some of my antics in driving habits!!!

I am still thinking about a supercharger....but that is just in the pipe dram stage right now.
I'm not sure on performance from the aFe because I got his tunes at the same time. I did run the lid for about a week and took it off. I love the sound.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

At the time there was no forced induction class in the Baja - that's one reason. Also, the basic architecture of the 6.2 is shared across multiple platforms, it's cheaper to keep the changes for each to a minimum.

Raptor specific - simpler is better for what the Raptor is designed to do and there's not a lot of premium fuel down in Baja either.

And the biggest reason - Ford is 'rated' each year based on its carbon footprint. Each model is assessed on its footprint vs number of units. This is the mechanism by which the gas guzzler tax is assessed. Ford has to pay to buy down its carbon credits, so its better to limit the worst performers (emissions) to limited production runs. Uncle Sam is not a car guy.

Quick Reply: Why not the gt500 motor?