Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor v platinum

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor v platinum

I know this is a crazy comparison, but can anyone speak to the difference of owning a raptor v a regular f150 4x4? I have a 16' Platinum 4x4 and am considering getting the 17' raptor, but whether city ride quality is markedly different and whether parking the wider raptor in city situations would be worse. Can anyone compare the vehicles as an everyday driver? Thanks so much!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont have an actual answer for you unfortunately. However just a little advice.

When posting this on the raptor forum, Don't expect to get an unbiased answer..lol

I can almost guarantee everyone here is going to tell you that the raptor is better.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

I test drove a 17 Raptor today while my truck was getting an oil change. For a big 4wd on BF Goodrich KO's, ride was pretty smooth. Took bumps cushier than my truck. Ride quality was like a Cadillac. Parking it would take some getting used to due to the width. But once you got used to it, no big deal. My Supercrew w/ 6 1/2' bed took a couple of months to get use to parking due to being so long, but now I park it like it's a smart car.

I was really impressed with it. I would turn off the fake engine noise coming through the speakers though.

Exhaust sound wasn't bad, wasn't good either. But I think the rest of the truck makes up for it. Just wish it came with a quieter exhaust like the standard Ecoboosted truck.

It was an awesome truck, but I would still buy a 14 Raptor over a 17 Raptor.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

One of the big differences will be the engine I imagine, the 2017's F150 now having the new 10 speed EB. I am looking forward test driving a new Platinum, the chances of test driving a Raptor in the near future is slim, unless i befriend an owner and they take pity on me. The only problem is, I might wee a little on the seat with excitement :-)
I look forward to seeing some responses, December will be the time I upgrade my 13 Platinum.
There are a lot of reviews on youtube, I have drooled over most of them, only found one actual user review so far which was pretty good.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

I can only review a 15 4wd xlt with 20"s. But my 17 is my 7th f150.

The ride on the raptor is cushy smooth. I've never driven a plat so can't compare the two. The raptor is a wider truck with 35" tires. If you have a leveled truck now, it won't be as big a leap to go to the raptor.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts

I traded a 2015 Platinum in for the 2017 Raptor 802a package. The Raptor ride is significantly better as my back seat passengers whole heartedly agree. The Raptor does not have that rear end jump/bounce that the Platinum has. It is just super smooth and it has a lot more power. The seats are more comfortable and it sounds better. It is a little wider, but I always park out by myself anyway. I like it a lot more than the Platinum. Obviously my personal opinion, but if you trade up, you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

The width thing really isn't an issue. Yes, the suspension / rear axle are wider but the widest point on the truck is the mirrors - which are the same as a non Raptor.

Point being, if a regular F150 will fit, so will a Raptor.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (01-20-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. My platinum is level and i find the ride quality very good. I have 20" with Nitto Grappler tires, which I was thinking of switching to the Raptor. This is really helpful. I will let you know what I decide. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Parking in tight, crowded city lots was much harder with the Raptor. One day, I came out and had 2 full-sized suvs parked on both sides of me. I instantly wished I had backed in that day..ended up being close to a 20-point turn
Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 337 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm toying with the same thing, coming from a leveled 2010 Platinum. I am going to wait for the 2018 though. Do the non tow mirrors on the Raptor fold in electoronically? I back into my garage due to cabinets and HAVE to fold in my mirrors do fit my Platinum in.

One thing holding me back on the Raptor is the price. At the very least, I can get an Xplan on the Platinum, where it isn't available on the Raptor. So this might be a $6k difference in price at least.