Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raptor performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
chillin the most!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raptor performance

First let me say I dont own a raptor.. I have a 2003 FX4 that i love dearly.. but i know the day will come when the fx4 needs to be replaced.. (probably sooner than later and i really like the 2017 raptor)

So question is.. How does the raptor perform in snow and mud compared to the fx4.. Snow and mud are what i deal with in a FWD situation.. My fx4 will go about anywhere i need it to in the snow (with a little weight added to bed ). I pull people out of snow with it with little trouble.. Mud, i usually do not head into anything i know it wont go through so .. it to goes where ever i want it too. I run the Brighton dueler tires wich i think are great for the 75/25% onroad offroading that i do .. The fx4 is fairly economical to run , i use corn free gas as much as possible and get decent mileage with it.. I have almost 140K miles with no major issues, the truck is paid for so when it needs to go to shop i dont complain about the occasional (maybe once year) $500 repair..

So what will i gain if i move to a Raptor beside creature features? I know the new truck have all kinds of new features that i dont even know i need..

The ability to get where i want to go is more important that creature features. During storms and snow i get out and check on few elderly neighbors and folks from the church. I have even transported nurses and hospital staff to work, i even took a waitress to IHOP one time cause her boss threaten to fire her if she didnt show up for her shift in a blizzard. (they were pretty busy with stranded drivers but hey ) This not an every day occurrence for me but at least a few times a year...

so your opinion would be appreciated. GO!

Last edited by tleslie79072; 01-22-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

The ONLY negative the Raptor has over an FX4 is the width. If you run very narrow trails you'll get pinstripes. A Raptor will do anything an FX4 will do, it will do it faster with more power and look better doing it.
The following users liked this post:
sigma pi (01-28-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

If you do notice a difference, it will be one of these factors:

The tires, my or may not be as good in the snow as what you are running now. They may be better.

Lighter weight. The truck won't weigh as much, you are going to put weight in the bed anyway, so this may not matter. Lighter is usually not better in snow.

Wider track. I have not experienced this, but you may find your self pushing through fresh snow more often, because you are wider than the tracks created by other vehicles. This may or may not be a big deal.
The following users liked this post:
Lion_Mus (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Tnx)
Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

1. You won't need to carry weight in the bed
2. Very likely not as economical to run - wider, larger tires and will likely be lowered geared.
3. Unless they change it in the Raptor, shouldn't run the corn fuel. Last I checked, not recommended for the Ecoboost.

My Raptor will go further and deeper into the snow and mud than my Lariat. Gotten both stuck, but when I got the Raptor stuck I knew I was really pushing it.
Rear lockers are a huge benefit, can get on Raptor and standard F150, but the front locker system is exclusive to the Raptor to my knowledge (stock).
Either way you'll love the added power the newer F150's have.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:50 PM

about the raptor performance, did you try it in rocky and rough road? how's the performance? thanks

Quick Reply: Raptor performance