Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with some usupension questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb with some usupension questions.....

So im looking at a FX4 or a raptor and i was wondering if parts like the king 3.0 coilovers would fit on a fx4 or do they only fit on the raptor.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

You ay be able to technically "Fit" them on an Fx4 but this won't make the Fx4 Long Travel. In fact I'm pretty sure if you did that your suspension wouldn't work as there would be no droop travel because the coil-overs are too long. But they may not even fit. Either way it would be pointless because it would do nothing for the Fx4. You'd be better off just buying the raptor instead of buying the Fx4 and converting it into a Long Travel set-up.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 03-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are plenty of nice long travel kits on the market that will upgrade the FX4 to higher performing then raptor levels...

http://www.camburg.com/extreme-build...t-truck-build/
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by bucketfresh
So im looking at a FX4 or a raptor and i was wondering if parts like the king 3.0 coilovers would fit on a fx4 or do they only fit on the raptor.
It's a catch 22. As posted by ajusa, you can install a long travel suspension on your truck which will have more travel than a Raptor, it isn't cheap and you still don't have the 'look' or the other features of the Raptor (31 spline front axles, 34 spline rear, off road mode, hill descent control, Torsen front diff, etc... or the 6.2).

No matter how you approach it, you will easily have 15k in the conversion once you account for the long travel kit, front and rear shocks, rear springs, extended front axles and wider fenders / bedsides and paint.

Having said that, if you are a good negotiator you'll be able to get a better deal on an FX4 than you would a Raptor (real price vs msrp) and with a lower cost set of options you could come out spending less overall. It won't be a Raptor but who cares!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bucketfresh

parts made specifically for a raptor will not work. But king does make replacement coilovers for your truck in a 2.5 which is a HUGE improvement over oem shocks/struts. And you dont need to run tons of preload you can set them at stock hieght if you want.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:23 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WarSurfer
It's a catch 22. As posted by ajusa, you can install a long travel suspension on your truck which will have more travel than a Raptor, it isn't cheap and you still don't have the 'look' or the other features of the Raptor (31 spline front axles, 34 spline rear, off road mode, hill descent control, Torsen front diff, etc... or the 6.2).

No matter how you approach it, you will easily have 15k in the conversion once you account for the long travel kit, front and rear shocks, rear springs, extended front axles and wider fenders / bedsides and paint.

Having said that, if you are a good negotiator you'll be able to get a better deal on an FX4 than you would a Raptor (real price vs msrp) and with a lower cost set of options you could come out spending less overall. It won't be a Raptor but who cares!
Our advice is to set goals and plan your build, than you can decide what is a better starting platform. If you are going to build a full offroad race vehicle, you probably could start with the basest of trucks, but you get a lot more out of the box with the Raptor.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ajusa.com
There are plenty of nice long travel kits on the market that will upgrade the FX4 to higher performing then raptor levels...

http://www.camburg.com/extreme-build...t-truck-build/
Actually....I agree with the vendors response (AJUSA) in principal, However it is not Totally accurate. There are plenty of long travel kits that out perform the long travel factory Fox set up on a Raptor from a travel distance perspective.

However...to say a stock F-150 upgraded with a long travel suspension will outperform a Raptor is not correct. Those aftermarket suspension kits do nothing for the axle widths (8" bigger on Raptor) nor do they do anything for rear axle and front half shaft sizes. Much bigger on Raptor. But the most significant part, is that the Raptor has integrated electronics with their suspension and several different off road modes that are tuned and integrated with the stock suspension making it a killer off road. Not to mention the ride in a Raptor is Smooooooooth and not harsh like a stock 4x4.

All that said...I would not spend the $5K on suspension mods and upgraded wheels and tires just to have a lifted FX4. Go get a raptor if you are going to use the long travel in the desert etc.

BUT.....If mine, I would rather do a basic lift on the FX4 and then you would have the best looking truck on the market. I love the FX4...I miss mine.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that makes sense...... I still am not sure what to get at this point, I live on the west coast of Canada so there isn't much for desert out here but we have endless trails and such. From what a few of my buddies that ride trails and do a bit of mudding they said the raptor would have some issues on the tighter trails. The other thing I have to consider now is that i got accepted back into school so the money for the truck is there but the money to fuel the raptor would be an issue and Knowing me there would be some goodies that would be purchased without any doubt.

But everyone's advice give me a little bit of a better idea as to which way to go.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Fuel MPG's for any lifted 4x4 with 4:10 gears, 35 or 37" tires is going to suck. In a heavy 6200lb truck, the 6.2 is thirsty, but it won't be much worse than any other motor....despite the claims by the EB crowd.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The king 3.0 series rear shocks would work for you, as I have put the stock raptor 2.5's on my fx4 you can see pics in my garage. As for the front coilovers I have a set of raptor coilovers as well, thought I would try to see if I could get them to fit like a camburg kit while I was waiting for the SVT front lower arms. In short the lower mounting point on the coilover is about a 1/2" wider than the fx4's. Without serious fabrication you would not be able to fit these.

Quick Reply: Newb with some usupension questions.....