Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford's response to bent frames....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Ford's response to bent frames....

Just saw this in AutoBlog. It appears that Ford is stating that the frame damage was caused by exceeding the vehicle's suspension limits. And, in some cases due to leaf spring modifications.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/s...mage-claims-w/
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

From the thread I read about it on that raptor forum I agree with Ford. They drove those trucks outside of their capabilities plain and simple.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Politically incorrect

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Evidently some of these Raptors were traveling 80-100 mph over roads that weren't checked out before hand. Some even faster, which meant they were fooling with the electronics.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting.

That engineer is a highly-articulate individual. He was able to break down the causes in non-technical, honest, matter-of-fact terminology. I can see why he's in the position he's in.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
From the thread I read about it on that raptor forum I agree with Ford. They drove those trucks outside of their capabilities plain and simple.
Great link
Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it laughable that people are really blaming SVT for that. It's not invincible! I've driven, and broken, race snowmobiles. Does that it mean it's a design flaw? No. It usually means you exceeded it's capabilities.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I SPENT $50K ON THIS TRUCK AND IT BETTER BE PERFECT, GET 50 MPG, FREE WARRANTY REPAIRS FOR LIFE AND INVINCIBLE"
Lol.
It's the what can you do for me generation.
No one is to fault.
If it broke, must be fords screwup....
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Goober
"I SPENT $50K ON THIS TRUCK AND IT BETTER BE PERFECT, GET 50 MPG, FREE WARRANTY REPAIRS FOR LIFE AND INVINCIBLE"
Lol.
It's the what can you do for me generation.
No one is to fault.
If it broke, must be fords screwup....
I would have loved to hear John Colletti's response. I dont think his would have been so politically correct! I do have to say that Mr Hameedi was a straight shooter about it.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

quote=FoMoFun;983923]Evidently some of these Raptors were traveling 80-100 mph over roads that weren't checked out before hand. Some even faster, which meant they were fooling with the electronics.[/quote]

Yes, this is a form of temporary loss of sanity IMO; and I knew this was coming.

When I first saw the advertising photos and videos for the new Raptor going airborne in a Baja like setting, and observed some of the comments of owners and future owners at this site and in other forums, I instinctively knew that this would be the outcome for a percentage of the overall operating experience with this great and inovative vehicle.

It doesn't matter if operating on an unimproved trail/road or open country in the mountains or desert, you cannot drive over your head (especially) over unscouted territory and you must plan for that unexpected obstacle such as a ditch or a large boulder or abandoned refrigerator or sofa in your path, many of which are usually hidden behind a damn bush. I have witnessed this multiple times, over the years in the desert and mountain areas of SoCal and Nevada. In a case such as was outlined, a severely bent frame on a vehicle such as the Raptor, is not a vehicle defect, it is operator error.

Most, would not even operate their truck at 100+ MPH on an improved and paved highway (aside from the legal consequences); therefore, it amazes me that anyone (other than a true 'professional' or highly experienced driver on a closed course, or completely charted course) would operate at these speeds over unimproved trails/roads and/or across uncharted open land, in their new 50K vehicle.

Operating in more extreme off-road situations, similar to other activites which require unique skill levels, takes practice and on-going experience/professional tutoring, etc., wherein one can develop those necessary skill-sets and instincts, which contribute to a fun but safe experience. For me, maneuvering over rough terrain and over and around obstacles at low to moderate speeds is always still challenging and remains fun, because you're not as apt to have to deal with those oh-shi# or oh-fu@$ situations and/or damaged equipment, possible injury to yourself, and a highly expensive off-highway vehicle retrieval and tow bill.

Some, new to the recreation, trade in the family SUV or sedan for a new Raptor and then, like Walter Mittty, dream that they are now a professional Baja Racer!

Excellent article and very measured/intelligent assessment by the Ford engineer!

....This is part of that learning curve. One of the things that we state in our owner's manual is that you need to do a low-speed reconnaissance run – you can't just find an off-road trail and barrel down it at 100 miles an hour....

Last edited by NorCal-09; 07-24-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by obusnizzle

I would have loved to hear John Colletti's response. I dont think his would have been so politically correct! I do have to say that Mr Hameedi was a straight shooter about it.
I knew Colletti in a previous life.
He is a cool dude.
P.C. Is not a term I would use to describe him.

Quick Reply: Ford's response to bent frames....