Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?buying Raptor bead lock wheels/not

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default ?buying Raptor bead lock wheels/not

I am looking at buying one, but I am trying to figure out more about the bead lock capable wheels.
My understanding is if you get the bead lock capable wheels you still have to add the bead lock kit, but I can't find how much that costs nor what it takes to do it. Any one know cost for the kit?

Also to do it I 'assume' one has to air out the tire and move the tire to the outer ring and then bolt on the bead lock. Is that correct?

Got a better deal right now on one without bead locks, but my understanding is to get factory bead lock capable wheels it's $1300 each?

Maybe the bead locks really don't matter much, but it'd be nice to have options...
Old 12-24-2013, 02:26 AM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gwpfan
I am looking at buying one, but I am trying to figure out more about the bead lock capable wheels.
My understanding is if you get the bead lock capable wheels you still have to add the bead lock kit, but I can't find how much that costs nor what it takes to do it. Any one know cost for the kit?

Also to do it I 'assume' one has to air out the tire and move the tire to the outer ring and then bolt on the bead lock. Is that correct?

Got a better deal right now on one without bead locks, but my understanding is to get factory bead lock capable wheels it's $1300 each?

Maybe the bead locks really don't matter much, but it'd be nice to have options...

Yes you need the kit. Retail they are $179 each per tire. I've heard some have gotten them around $125 but haven't checked myself.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=22812

You are correct on the procedure from what I understand. Here is a video you can watch about them.

As far as the rest of the cost, I am not sure.

I ordered my Raptor with the SE package which includes the beadlocks. But I am still trying to figure out the practicality of them. There is no way that I am going to drive to an off-road location, jack up my Raptor to remove the wheel and do the whole conversion, one (maybe two depending on the jack) at a time. With the ring on, its clearly states for off-road use ONLY. Then when you are done off-roading, repeat the entire process again to put it back like it was. Would definitely need a good air compressor.

The better option would be to remove the factory wheels, switch it over to beadlocks and have the set to take with you and purchase another set to be your daily drivers. But you are still going to have to mess with jacking and changing out tires. See, I am still trying to understand the "practicality"......
The following users liked this post:
gwpfan (12-26-2013)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed and after looking at this further and thinking the practically and them no being DOT approved for on road use I don't think it is worth the hassle.

The salesman got me this link - http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...asp#F150Anchor

which here it breaks it out http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...007-DC1785.pdf

I thought I wanted the option, but I agree with you, a second set of tires with bead locks makes more sense in my case.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

They are great offroad so you don't lose a tire or pop a bead off.

I don't know of any beadlock that is DOT. There may be some internal bead locks but not sure on price.

If you are not blasting across dessert at crazy speeds or rock crawling with single digit pressures then I wouldn't worry about it.

I know it's lighter but I ran single digits in my Jeep tires offroad with no problems.
SteakHolder (07-11-2016)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Walker Evans Bead locks are DOT. And look way better than any factory wheel. But unless you are airing down to single digit for crawling or desert racing you really don't need them. But if you got the cash and really want them go for it.
SteakHolder (07-11-2016)

Quick Reply: ?buying Raptor bead lock wheels/not