Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy for Considering a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Am I crazy for Considering a Raptor?

I posted this at another forum , but wanted to ask here also.

Currently I drive a 2011 F150 XLT Ecoboost. I have been looking for a more comfortable truck because I drive about 30k miles a year. I wasn't even considering a raptor due to their high initial cost and fuel mileage. But I stumbled upon a well equipped extended cab that the dealer is able to get it to the same as lariat. Downside is I give up the crew cab, but I can live with that.

I took it for a test drive and it rode very well, and was happy with how everything was set up. So i left the dealer told him I need to run the numbers.

I made a spreadsheet and found out the total cost of ownership of the raptor is actually better than an ecoboost lariat based on the high resale of the raptors.

Btw the raptor is the first vehicle to put a smile on my face in a while. Also I do drive on the beach quite a bit, and most of the miles are highway. I do need the bed for work so an suv or something similar won't suffice.

Trade in values are based on true car. The Jeep is on there because my Dad is debating between an overland and raptor.

Name:  dpiGohv.png
Views: 3
Size:  22.6 KB
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

If you honestly afford it and makes you happy, then why not? I almost got a Raptor instead of my 12 Ecoboost but in the end, I realized I would be just as happy with the 12 as the Raptor for what I would use it for and far cheaper.

Key words in above statement though is "If you honestly afford it"

I'm gonna guess though if you done a cost analysis like you above, you have a good idea of budgeting/fiscal responsibility.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

A raptor is not a good daily driver I don't think. That being said I'd love to have gotten one, but the over and above price from my fx4 loaded was another 11k sticker. It wasn't there for me.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
A raptor is not a good daily driver I don't think. That being said I'd love to have gotten one, but the over and above price from my fx4 loaded was another 11k sticker. It wasn't there for me.
They aren't too far apart. The resale is so much higher on the raptor it offsets the extra money up front and the added fuel.

The raptor actually is the nicest/smoothest riding truck I have ever driven. It felt like a Lincoln/Cadillac.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by frunko1
I posted this at another forum , but wanted to ask here also.

Currently I drive a 2011 F150 XLT Ecoboost. I have been looking for a more comfortable truck because I drive about 30k miles a year. I wasn't even considering a raptor due to their high initial cost and fuel mileage. But I stumbled upon a well equipped extended cab that the dealer is able to get it to the same as lariat. Downside is I give up the crew cab, but I can live with that.

I took it for a test drive and it rode very well, and was happy with how everything was set up. So i left the dealer told him I need to run the numbers.

I made a spreadsheet and found out the total cost of ownership of the raptor is actually better than an ecoboost lariat based on the high resale of the raptors.

Btw the raptor is the first vehicle to put a smile on my face in a while. Also I do drive on the beach quite a bit, and most of the miles are highway. I do need the bed for work so an suv or something similar won't suffice.

Trade in values are based on true car. The Jeep is on there because my Dad is debating between an overland and raptor.

why?

the cost of refinancing a raptor vs your current truck payment isn't worth it.

for instance, like one member on here once said to mel; i can't justify the cost of a new truck and being screwed over by a dealship for a meer 60 HP.

so, with that advice, i'd like to talk to you about something better.
what if you got a raptor suspension, for a few thousand bucks IN YOUR CURRENT TRUCK as well as a tuner to wake it up a bit better.

hmmm... got you thinking didn't i? get your little 3.5 Eco to perform like a 6.2L (approx) as well as ride like that raptor you're looking at.

all the while; not changing your truck payment or other junk. this way, you keep your screwcab and everything else you like about your truck.

if it's paid off, even better, why? cause it's only a few $$$$, rather than $40k or so.

think i'm kidding? well, here's the super suspension "feeling in your seat" that you're loving link.

and find a vendor on here to get you a volant stage 2 CAI, borla exhaust, and a 5* tuner.

you'd be set.... if you don't really care for the power, omit my last line and simply follow the link.

http://camburg.com/store/09-11-f-150...ormance-kit-2/

BTW, you're welcome
The following users liked this post:
avvblanc01 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 PM

also, i'm pretty sure you'd be able to write the camburg off as a buesness expense.

maybe as a medical one, if you have a back condition.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by rigrat2011
why?

the cost of refinancing a raptor vs your current truck payment isn't worth it.

for instance, like one member on here once said to mel; i can't justify the cost of a new truck and being screwed over by a dealship for a meer 60 HP.

so, with that advice, i'd like to talk to you about something better.
what if you got a raptor suspension, for a few thousand bucks IN YOUR CURRENT TRUCK as well as a tuner to wake it up a bit better.

hmmm... got you thinking didn't i? get your little 3.5 Eco to perform like a 6.2L (approx) as well as ride like that raptor you're looking at.

all the while; not changing your truck payment or other junk. this way, you keep your screwcab and everything else you like about your truck.

if it's paid off, even better, why? cause it's only a few $$$$, rather than $40k or so.

think i'm kidding? well, here's the super suspension "feeling in your seat" that you're loving link.

and find a vendor on here to get you a volant stage 2 CAI, borla exhaust, and a 5* tuner.

you'd be set.... if you don't really care for the power, omit my last line and simply follow the link.

http://camburg.com/store/09-11-f-150...ormance-kit-2/

BTW, you're welcome
More too it than that. I live out of my truck during the week, I can't afford down time. So I can't spend days modding my truck, nor would I want to, other than mirrors and tonneau covers, I want my truck left stock. Also I am on a company plan that requires me to trade keep my trucks 4 model years new. So that means I would have to start looking anyway in under 2 years. By then I would have over 120k miles on the truck and have spend money on repairs (tie rod ends, brakes, tires, tranny flushes, rear end oil changes, other?!?) and that is time down. If I buy a new truck, I add money to the payment, which once again isn't a big deal, I just like to make sure it makes sense to buy something.

I am pretty sure I am going to buy the raptor, I more just wanted to post showing my surprise for the low cost of ownership of the raptor vs other trucks.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After driving a 2010 5.4 Screw XLT, I was in the same boat as you...looking to upgrade.

After test driving a 6.2 Screw Raptor and a 3.5 Eco Screw Platinum, I chose the Platinum. Honestly I had no doubts about it. The raptor felt heavy, clunky, and less comfortable to all my senses. The Platinum road sweet, felt quicker, more comfortable in every way. Because I didn't plan on taking a 40K truck off road unless I have to, I went with the Platinum. NTM the Platinum fits in my garage and the Raptor would not have. Little things like that sometime make the difference.

My friends who don't know any better always tell me how I should have got the Raptor...I don't think so.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by GLOCKAFELLA
After driving a 2010 5.4 Screw XLT, I was in the same boat as you...looking to upgrade.

After test driving a 6.2 Screw Raptor and a 3.5 Eco Screw Platinum, I chose the Platinum. Honestly I had no doubts about it. The raptor felt heavy, clunky, and less comfortable to all my senses. The Platinum road sweet, felt quicker, more comfortable in every way. Because I didn't plan on taking a 40K truck off road unless I have to, I went with the Platinum. NTM the Platinum fits in my garage and the Raptor would not have. Little things like that sometime make the difference.

My friends who don't know any better always tell me how I should have got the Raptor...I don't think so.
That is what it really comes down too, as long as your happy with it, nothing else really matters.

Funny you say about the garage, I was out with my tape measure at the dealership and checked the garage, it will fit. Also I am going to keep with the extended cab and with the short bed will make more room!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by frunko1
More too it than that. I live out of my truck during the week, I can't afford down time. So I can't spend days modding my truck, nor would I want to, other than mirrors and tonneau covers, I want my truck left stock. Also I am on a company plan that requires me to trade keep my trucks 4 model years new. So that means I would have to start looking anyway in under 2 years. By then I would have over 120k miles on the truck and have spend money on repairs (tie rod ends, brakes, tires, tranny flushes, rear end oil changes, other?!?) and that is time down. If I buy a new truck, I add money to the payment, which once again isn't a big deal, I just like to make sure it makes sense to buy something.

I am pretty sure I am going to buy the raptor, I more just wanted to post showing my surprise for the low cost of ownership of the raptor vs other trucks.
so in other words, and to be polite about it...

you just wanted to try and thow this is some guy's face about your options?

personally dude, you asked for an opinion, and i gave you mine. just don't think i'm angry or annoyed. lmao.

*shrugs shoulders

none of it matters to me at all, i mean... who am i to you? right? lol.

i live out of my truck too, and i'd rather not have a raptor for work; simply because it looks more tempting to steal at a hotel parking lot. but that's just me.

and when i do haul, i need to haul. the raptor isn't any different than a 4x4 long travel suspension under a ranchero.

i prefer versatility vs a toy.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for Considering a Raptor?