Topic Sponsor
Ford Raptor Forum This is the discussion area for the F150 Raptor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Ford Raptor, new H.O. 3.5L Ecoboost Engine

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Default 2017 Ford Raptor, new H.O. 3.5L Ecoboost Engine

I think many of us are excited and anticipating the New Raptors. With Ford basically putting together a completely new truck from the ground up, a new transmission and a new engine! Is anyone thinking about waiting a bit for some trucks to get out on the road, with real owners and real world miles, to see how they do? Or will you go out and be the Ford beta testers yourselves?

The engine, I didn't realize, it's totally new design and build, only thing the same is displacement? The following is from and article by Road and Track..…

"Calling the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that's destined for the new Ford GT and second-generation Raptor pickup a high-output version is a bit disingenuous. Ford basically wiped the slate clean to make it, retaining only the displacement measurement—and, you know, the fact it has six cylinders in a vee configuration fed by turbochargers and direct injection.

It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, …… "

The article, please checkout for yourself.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ceits-all-new/

I think I'll do a test drive and perhaps roll the dice, maybe?
Old 02-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I like my 5.0 , but will check out the raptor. I have not driven a eco boost yet. Just hope that if I like the raptor, the new dual exhaust does not sound to weird.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the performance also good in a rocky road?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

The ecoBoost motor in the new Raptor and the ecoBoost motor in the GT are two completely different motors. The only thing they have in common is the name, one is all out high rpm race motor with an aluminum block and flat plane crank that produces 650ish hp, the other has a cast iron block and produces 425ish hp. The ecoBoost motor for the Raptor will simply be a tweeked standard 3.5 eB motor mated to a ten speed tranny and a auto transfer case like the Platinum has.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by pat247
The ecoBoost motor in the new Raptor and the ecoBoost motor in the GT are two completely different motors. The only thing they have in common is the name, one is all out high rpm race motor with an aluminum block and flat plane crank that produces 650ish hp, the other has a cast iron block and produces 425ish hp. The ecoBoost motor for the Raptor will simply be a tweeked standard 3.5 eB motor mated to a ten speed tranny and a auto transfer case like the Platinum has.
You're mixing and matching your data, Pat.

No 3.5l ecoboost has a cast iron block - the 6.2 is the only one.

gen 1 3.5l ecoboost engines have aluminum blocks

gen 2 3.5l ecoboost engines have CGI blocks and aluminum heads

both gen 1 and gen 2 ecoboosts have DI but gen 2's also have port injection.

the gen 2 in the Raptor is the 'same' engine that is in the Ford GT - different specs (cams, tune, etc... but they are both gen 2 CGI engines)

The only engine with a 'flat plane crank' stat is the 5.2 from the GT350 - and it's a v8.
The following users liked this post:
Bigpurch76 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Link...

Originally Posted by Road and Track
Calling the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that's destined for the new Ford GT and second-generation Raptor pickup a high-output version is a bit disingenuous. Ford basically wiped the slate clean to make it, retaining only the displacement measurement—and, you know, the fact it has six cylinders in a vee configuration fed by turbochargers and direct injection.

It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, so maybe that dual-injection scheme will spread to other engines.

And then there's the anti-lag system. It's not a fuel-dumping system like on fire-spitting nutso rally cars, but we're told a lot of work went into the control systems to make sure manifold pressures stay up to keep the turbos spooled. They're not messing around here. The turbos aren't in the valley—a so-called "hot vee" setup like many of the German companies have moved to lately—but the resulting engine is still much more compact than the V8 it replaces.

The high-output 3.5 is pegged to make more than 600 hp in the limited-run GT supercar and at least 414 hp and 434 lb-ft of torque in the next Raptor (the promise is that it will beat the outgoing 6.2-liter's numbers, which those are). Ford likes to wait as long as it can to announce concrete power numbers, so it will be months until the final specs are in, but we're expecting at least 450 hp for the crazy off-road truck.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ceits-all-new/
Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Disappointing that they went with an Ecoboost instead of a big V8. It was nice to be able to add a supercharger and get 600hp out of the old Raptor. I was really looking forward to the new Raptor until they announced it would be an Ecoboosted V6.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Huh?
Originally Posted by vince0190
is the performance also good in a rocky road?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

yep, as inappropriate as a EB is for a regular half ton truck, it's downright stupid for a Raptor. But Ford is ***** deep in EcoBoost so they are trying all they can to keep it relevant . Datum shame about this Raptor.....
Originally Posted by tuflehundon
Disappointing that they went with an Ecoboost instead of a big V8. It was nice to be able to add a supercharger and get 600hp out of the old Raptor. I was really looking forward to the new Raptor until they announced it would be an Ecoboosted V6.
The following users liked this post:
WestsydeGuy (05-09-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 AM

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Come to papa...
I have an ecoboost now...the newer more HP will be even better.
Only down side to the truck is the sucky LED headlights!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Raptor, new H.O. 3.5L Ecoboost Engine