Topic Sponsor

Spark plug troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug troubles

I currently have my 04 F-150 with 96k miles in for service. Just an oil change and new spark plugs. It is a 5.4l. Apparently while the tech was trying to remove the plugs he broke all eight of them and now they are removing the heads and everything else in the way to be able to "beat" the plugs out. That is the terminology that the dealer used. Anyone else heard of this problem?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

ITs a common problem for our trucks.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:38 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is it doesn't sound like the tech followed the TSB on how to do this without breaking them. Ford also has a tool to remove them if they break. READ THIS THREAD

I hope their not trying to stick it to you to cover the cost of their mistake. From what I understand the engine has to be removed to even be able to remove the heads.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, it sounds like they are feading you a line of bs...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealership today and my engine is laying all around the truck. I asked them if there was a tsb on the plugs and they told me no. I am very sure that they made no attempt to other than probably an air ratchet..........they were nice enough to tell me it is going to be covered under my extended warranty....Thanks for the heads up on the tsb.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 PM
08 February TOTM

Originally Posted by mandarren
I went to the dealership today and my engine is laying all around the truck. I asked them if there was a tsb on the plugs and they told me no. I am very sure that they made no attempt to other than probably an air ratchet..........they were nice enough to tell me it is going to be covered under my extended warranty....Thanks for the heads up on the tsb.
I wouldn't return to your dealer ever again. Expesually after the warranty is up. The problem you have now is when they put the plugs back in if they don't do as the TSB says there could be an issue again when trying to remove them.

The TSB says:

NOTE: ONCE THE SPARK PLUGS HAVE ALL BEEN REMOVED, NEW PLUGS SHOULD BE INSTALLED USING A FILM COATING OF NICKEL ANTI-SEIZE ON THE GROUND ELECTRODE SHIELD OF THE NEW SPARK PLUG. DO NOT COAT THE ELECTRODE STRAP OR THE PLUG WILL MISFIRE. THE NEW PLUGS SHOULD BE INSTALLED WITH NO LUBRICANT ON THE THREADS AND TORQUED TO SPECIFICATION, 25 LB-FT (34 N-m).

To me it wouldn't matter if my warranty is going to cover it or not. What would bother me is the fact that they lied about it and you have a truck that has been disassembled for no other reason than their fault. I hope your warranty doesn't have you paying a deductible.

I would write a letter to Ford with a copy of the TSB That they do indeed know about and express my feelings.

Here is the most current TSB # on it. Print this and show your dealer what they haven't heard of. Ford has issued a few of them on your truck for this problem. I can't believe they lied about there not being one issued.

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 03-06-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:38 PM
08 February TOTM

And another thing, Spark Plugs aren't normally covered under warranty. it's this little statement in the TSB that makes them eligible in your case.
Originally Posted by From the TSB
WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would report them to your warranty company. The dealer should pay for the job not your warranty company and definantly not you. ESPECIALLY since there is a TSB on this EXACT problem.

Quick Reply: Spark plug troubles