Topic Sponsor

replaced the pcm now truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced the pcm now truck won't start

I have a 2001 f150 4x4 5.4l engine. I replace the pcm with one that was bought from autozone. They said it came already programmed all I had to do was install and go. Needles to say the truck won't start. Had the keys programmed to the new pcm by local ford dealership. Still won't start and the theft light is blinking! How can I fix this or what needs to be done to fix this??
Old 02-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by bert3179
I have a 2001 f150 4x4 5.4l engine. I replace the pcm with one that was bought from autozone. They said it came already programmed all I had to do was install and go. Needles to say the truck won't start. Had the keys programmed to the new pcm by local ford dealership. Still won't start and the theft light is blinking! How can I fix this or what needs to be done to fix this??
Did your dealer flash as built data to the pcm? If not then they need to in order for it to communicate with all the other modules.

Your PATS is in conflict with the new pcm.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Did your dealer flash as built data to the pcm? If not then they need to in order for it to communicate with all the other modules.

Your PATS is in conflict with the new pcm.
I'm not sure they just told me it was programmed to the vin. Already had the new one in before taking to the dealership. Will cutting a new key and programming it work? Or will they need the old pcm?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by bert3179
I'm not sure they just told me it was programmed to the vin. Already had the new one in before taking to the dealership. Will cutting a new key and programming it work? Or will they need the old pcm?
They will have to program the keys because the pats is not recognizing the chip in them, they will have to clear all programmed keys as if brand new and program all of them at the same time. Apparently the dealer you took it to don't have an experienced tech that knows how to perform the procedure.

Find someone with an NGS or IDS that knows how to do it.

Last edited by RLXXI; 02-07-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Yea, the 97-98 are plug and play. Beyond that, they are not.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RLXXI
They will have to program the keys because the pats is not recognizing the chip in them, they will have to clear all programmed keys as if brand new and program all of them at the same time. Apparently the dealer you took it to don't have an experienced tech that knows how to perform the procedure.

Find someone with an NGS or IDS that knows how to do it.
Not sure how to reply to this but mine is a similar situation and every time I reprogram the keys I have and turn it off it won’t start again until I redo the procedure. I have one original key and another one from a locksmith

Quick Reply: replaced the pcm now truck won't start