Topic Sponsor

Help, My son is a bigole dummy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, My son is a bigole dummy

How yall doing. Man any advice here is greatly appreciated. Well, my son was changing oil on his 2007 Lariat 5.4 flex. Its been solid, no engine problems (other than usual tuneup plugs issues), and only has 75k miles on it. Fluids have been switched to Amsoil synth. Well....
After draining oilpan, he realized he needs filter wrench to take off oil filter, so he simply pours ONE quart 5-20 in, and hops in for the mile long ride over to shop. Said halfway through he felt motor grinding almost to a stop but made it to the shop, where he filled remaining oil before coming home. Well, since then its been driven about 30 miles or so with no nocking or grinding of any kind. Ive also scanned it with SCT tuner and no codes have been thrown. No overheating or any temp or level problems so far either. But when I drive it it feels to me as if I'm needing to push it a lil harder on the gas for it to get it going. Also feels rougher and shakier at higher speeds.
So my question is what would be the best way for me to check weather anything in the motor really sustained any kinda damage adn what kind really. Hopefully other than running some expensive diagnostics. Also, regarding what could be issue, is running the 5-20 synthetic optimal, or should something heavier be used? I've been planning on taking the fam camping 1100+ miles out in a few weeks and would hate for any hidden issue to leave our asses stranded and tenting it fo life....Any advice appreciated, as I don't know much about engines, not aware of what flex really is as we been pouring unleaded always, in a recession goddamit, and oh yeah, my son's still a dumbass.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No telling what is wrong with the engine short of pulling the oil pan and checking for metal shavings or anything out of place. Also you could run a compression test. That will tell you if the cylinder walls or rings are fried. If you can change the plugs you can do a compression test.

Last edited by 02sport4; 05-16-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Help, My son is a bigole dummy