Topic Sponsor

Engine knocking

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine knocking

Hey every one, I have been browsing these boards since I bought my 08' Lariat F150 5.4 in March of 08. I have been browsing the boards for the past month trying to figure out the problem that my truck now has and can't seem to find a solution.

Last month I went threw a puddle (more like a lake) with the truck trying to have some fun with the kids when all of a sudden it shut off. The truck stayed in the puddle (about half way up my 37" tires) and the truck was submerged to just under my door sills.

I had a buddy come pull me out and pull me to the shop where it has been sitting for the past month and a half. I have a busy schedule and the truck is only my weekend toy so I have not had time to work on it until just this past week.
I replaced the starter because I burnt the other one out trying to start it when it happened. I also drained almost 3/4 of a gallon of water from the oil pan. The motor never ran with the the water in it so it was water before the oil. No chocolate milk. I also pulled the plugs and put a vacuum with a skinny tube on the end of it down the cylinders and sucked what ever I could out. I did not seem to get any water out of the cylinders. Then put new synthetic oil in and a new filter.

When I fired up the truck it blew what was left of the water out of the exhaust and it now has a loud knocking sound coming from (I think) the passenger side head.

The truck has not given me any check engine lights and I just put a edge programmer in to see if I had any codes and it comes back with no errors.

The knocking is consistent with the motor at idle and with RPMs and all of the cylinders seem to be firing correctly. If there was no knocking noise the motor would seem to be running just fine.

I drove the truck from one parking spot to another after it had ran for 30 minutes or so to see if the sound would go away but it did not. I did not exceed 3 mph and when I had to go up the drive way to the other spot the truck REALLY lacked power. I pushed the peddle to the floor real fast (long enough for the wire to engage) and the truck just sounded like it was drowning and did not rev up. The symptoms have not changed.

I pulled the dip stick after it had been running for a while and no metal shavings or water. The truck has had synthetic in it since 2k miles. The truck now has 15k miles on it.

There is no oil leaking from the engine and every thing looks fine.

I know there is a lot of tecs on here as I have already gained a LOT of knowledge form reading 100 other posts on here over the years so I am hoping some one may have some ideas.

I know I know shame on me for going fast (20mph) threw a puddle. Years ago I use to take our little Plymouth delivery van threw it every time I passed and never has a problem. I never remember it being that deep though Guess my off road beast just couldn't hang with the mini

Last edited by UNITY; 02-05-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know much about 08s but interested in your post. I thinking the Cam Phaser is the problem based on knock and lack of power.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by torkum
Don't know much about 08s but interested in your post. I thinking the Cam Phaser is the problem based on knock and lack of power.

I was REALLY hoping it to be that but with the lack of power it may be more. I am going to try some miracle oil tonight and see if some thing is just sticking from sitting for so long.

I will let you know how it goes tonight.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 AM
Ford Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a compression test on the cylinders and see if you get a cylinder that is low.
Should narrow it down a bit.

...........................Just my .02
Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 02Screw
Run a compression test on the cylinders and see if you get a cylinder that is low.
Should narrow it down a bit.

...........................Just my .02
Yeah, I was going to do that tonight but it REALLY started knocking now. I am just going to pull the thing apart and find out what is really wrong with it. May just buy another motor for now and build this one while it is out.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah it's a long...bed =P

Sounds like you might have a spun rod bearing. If that engine sat for over a month with water in the crankcase the engine might be toast.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking