Topic Sponsor

5.4L Engine Whine - Bad Belt Tensioner Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.4L Engine Whine - Bad Belt Tensioner Bearings?

Hey guys,
I got around to taking a video to help diagnose the engine whine issue that I'm having right now. Check out the link below and have a listen to the whine that is coming from the front of my motor. The Idler Pulley is fine. It spins with no noise at all and is very smooth. The whine becomes very noticable about 28 seconds into the video. Also, I noticed that my A/C Clutch Pulley spins and then stops every 10-15 seconds or so. Is this common? You can see it start/stop spinnging in the video as well. It has a slight ticking... not really that noticable unless you have your head near the engine... what would be the cause of that ticking??? Any response would be great help!

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is your ac/heat on if you have the temp somewhere between ac and heat it will kick the ac pump on to even the temp also if your ac is on then its doing that to pump the ac coolant, the ticking is the actual pump doing its job but it almost sounds like it is out of freon and its trying to work, the ac pulley might be bad.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM

I had the same issue with my truck, I ended up changing a couple of idler pulleys.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:24 PM

My tensioner pulley just went out too, it is an easy job, and got rid of the whine and bearing noise.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm off this Friday and will attempt to replace the Belt Tensioner. Will report back with the results.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 PM

I'm interested to see if that fixes it. I've been researching this since I got my truck a month ago and there are about 9 different suggestions.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM

I have the whine too. I can hear it from inside the cab (windows up) while I am driving. Particularly when I am excelerating, like up and entrance ramp onto the highway or something. The whine is pretty much always there.

Please post your results fromt he tensioner pulley change. Thanks!

XTMACX - What where some of the other suggestions you came across?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Just from searching on this forum I've seen stuff like alternator bearings, different pulleys, transfer case, transmission, radio!!! (Which is obviously not it), etc. I just don't see how there are this many threads and topics for this noise and its on trucks that are 2, 3, 4 years old and nobody seems to have a definite answer or fix. I've only had my truck for a month so I'm new to it. But this thread seems to be the most credible with two guys already confirming it. Thanks guys!

Last edited by XTMACX; 01-14-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM

Well, unfortunetly after replacing my Belt Tensioner the whine is still there. I didn't bother returning the Tensioner because the bearings from the old one seemed to be pretty worn out. So I threw the new one in anyways. So it's not the Tensioner OR the Pulley. It's deffinetly coming from the front of the motor though. Guess I could check the Power Steering pump next. However the whine doesn't get worse when I turn the wheels. I've also checked my Power Steering fluid after cranking the wheels both ways and it stays normal. The wine isn't too noticable when sitting at an idle, but when you start to accellerate you really hear it. Sounds like a Super Charger. Will continue to post my results as I continue to search for the culprit.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

let us know man. my truck sounds the same way and i was gonna replace the idler but now idk

Quick Reply: 5.4L Engine Whine - Bad Belt Tensioner Bearings?