Topic Sponsor

5.4 Intake Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.4 Intake Plenum

I have a 2000 expedtion with the 5.4 motor and have been battling a lean code for the past month and finally took it into the shop and they said that they need to replace the intake manifold plenum because it is plastic and it has warped over time. They say its going to cost around $800 total. I am wondering if this is a common problem and that if there is something besides the stock one I can put on it?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read a lot and have not heard of an issues with warpage. I can't see how this was diagnosed without the complet removal of the intake and plenum. My guess, look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Ya I just went and picked it up and got a quote from them and they are charging 390 for the plenum, 60 for a coolant flush and then another 390 for labor. My dad has a friend who is a mechanic and he said they are trying to just get some commission on it. So we are going to have my dads friend do it for a lot cheaper I hope. Are there any aftermarket plenums that I should look at or just go with stock?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest looking in the wrecking yards. It should be a 3 hour? job for a real mechanic.
I would love to know what your mechanic finds. As I mentioned, I have not heard of any lower plenums warping to the point of having a leak.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:50 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i had to replace mine. i bought it from a junk yard with the throttle body and gaskets for 160 i believe. when you know what your doing it takes maybe 2 hours to take it out and put it in. just remember where EVERY vaccume hose goes. i thought i did somethin wrong and i ended up taking it out and putting it back together 3 times in one night. next day had a buddy look at it (who was rippin the vaccume lines off the night b4) and he said oh this is in the wrong spot and when i switched it it ran like a top. drain the coolant if you do do it. when u take the intake off it will release coolant and it could get down by the plugs and or in the valves
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM

this is a common problem with anything that has plastic intake plenums, the warp and reek havoc. I would stick to buying a new plenum if it needs to be replaced. simply because of the fact that they warp so easy, and could have warped already or is fit to the "donor" motor.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
^ drinks KC Tea

mine was out of a used motor and she runs fine!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mrpomerleau
mine was out of a used motor and she runs fine!
I'm just saying I would not put a used plenum on my truck. doesnt mean its not going to work. no need to get all exclamation pointed on me. but if your plenum had already warped, what do you think that does to the odds of a used one warping?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
^ drinks KC Tea

haha are u offended by my ! i put in? lol im just statin my idears man to each his own
Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrpomerleau
haha are u offended by my ! i put in? lol im just statin my idears man to each his own
nope not offended at all. just came across as a little like

Quick Reply: 5.4 Intake Plenum