Topic Sponsor

5.4, 3 valve problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4, 3 valve problem

I have an 04-05 f150 wit a 5.4 3 valve that has just stopped running right. Will start and idle, idles poorly like its not running on all 8 and when trying to give it gas nothing happens (does no rev up). does anyone know of a motor that I can just bolt in thats compatable with everything esle. thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2011, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you spend the money on a new motor when it may be a simple COP replacement or spark plug replacement? Do you have a CEL on and if so what are the codes? What is the mileage and maintenance history of the truck? Do you have an 04 or an 05? If its a 05 then it could be an injector which could be covered under warranty.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

door sticker says 04, but I bought it as an 05. Im the 2nd owner of the truck so I dont know to much about the maint. history. I do know that the cam phasers woar replaced about a year ago. there is a small dent/hole in the right side valve cover that is new sense the motor started running bad. A mechanic buddy of mine said that the phasers came apart and the pistons may have hit the valves. as far as codes go will know tonight when he comes over. everyone that I've talked to said these motors are junk. so i was looking for something better
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM

These motors are very strong if they are maintained well. They do have some inherit issues but so does just about anything else. Most likely you are not going to find a different style motor that will plug and play. I am guessing that the truck was produced in 04 but is considered an 05. 05's have a known issue with fuel injectors that stick open or closed. You could of had a injector stick open and flood a cylinder causing bent valves and internal damage. Ford has an extended warranty for this for 11 years and 120k miles I believe. Do a search for 07M08 Customer satisfaction program. If the injector is at fault and is withing the warranty period Ford will fix or replace your engine for free. Might be worth a call to your local dealership to see if you qualify.

If you have a CEL on and knowing the codes could help others identify your problem also.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM

There is a sticker under the hood that gives the model year info. Usually attached to the underside of the hood or the radiator surround. It shows the belt routing and gives info about the vehicle. Door stickers can be misleading.

Quick Reply: 5.4, 3 valve problem