Topic Sponsor

5.0 Air pump elimination

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5.0 Air pump elimination

I've got a '95 f150 with a 302. The Air pump is on its way out and its rattling and squeeling like crazy. I've got a custom true dual exhaust where i already eliminated the cats so i no longer need the air pump. My question is should i get a dummy pully, or just find another way to route the belt around it?? help me out.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a different yet smaller belt. Im not sure if the 5.0s are the same on the trucks as in my mustang but heres a belt routing link for different deletes:

It also shows length of belt

Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Thanks man i think the 90.2 inch belt would work, but the way my tensioner pulley is set up i don't think it would work to tension the belt properly
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

My buddy started by taking that off on his fox body. Now all he has is a waterpump and alternator. Looks hilarious but frees up power.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Zolson, did you ever get this going? I have the same year model and want to do the same thing. Not sure what size belt to go with. I read one forum that shows it to be a 94" belt but here we're seeing other lengths. What did you end up going with and how was it routed?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by fosgate3
Zolson, did you ever get this going? I have the same year model and want to do the same thing. Not sure what size belt to go with. I read one forum that shows it to be a 94" belt but here we're seeing other lengths. What did you end up going with and how was it routed?
Yes I actually went online and bought an air pump delete pulley that they make for the mustangs, and had my mechanic install it because I tried to take the old air pump off and just couldn't get at it with any of my tools. So my mechanic installed it as kind of a favor to me for cheap, and I just had to get a belt that was 1" shorter then stock because the stock length was just a little too loose
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotchya. I did mine Wednesday evening after work. I pulled off the smog pump pulley and then put on a smaller belt (94.5 inches), routing it as drawn in the image below. No more squealing from the pump and the truck feels like it runs a bit smoother.
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 Air pump elimination-belt-routing.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 AM

I did notice that my truck ran a little bit better after as well

Quick Reply: 5.0 Air pump elimination