Topic Sponsor

4.6L "ticking" help!

Old 10-30-2011, 03:39 PM
King of Useless Mods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6L "ticking" help!

My truck has been making noise I don't like... No engine lights. Mods are K@N filter, True Dual magnaflow mufflers with a X pipe diameter 2.5" and Full synthetic oil. Motor has 104k miles on it.

The motor made alot of ticking with RPM so I took a look at it. The EGR tube where it connects to the driver side exhaust manifold. That was fixed and now it seems to NOT be leaking. The truck has recently developed a tick and its bothering me. it seems that load brings it out.

please help!

will
Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure spark plugs are tight?
The following users liked this post:
Shacobo (11-18-2014)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM
its little

do you have a programmer? first thing I always check is mt AFR. I will leave it at that until I see your reply. DOnt want to scare you or lead you in the wrong direction but I am thinking something
Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by holler1
Make sure spark plugs are tight?
Second that, this is a easy thing to check and I wish someone had told me as I spent two summers trying to track a tick down in my Mustang......it was a loose plug on pass side in my 4.6.
The following users liked this post:
jaukkstrap93 (12-19-2014)
Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM
King of Useless Mods

I'll plug into a scanner tomorrow and try tightening all my spark plugs. Thanks for all the help!

Will
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
King of Useless Mods

Checked all but 1 spark plug. I am having trouble getting to it. One was loose and it seemed to help alittle. The noise is still there though. Is it normal to have a brownish residue on the rubber part that goes into the block from the coil over plug boot?

Still have yet to plug it into a programmer...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by XtributeX
Checked all but 1 spark plug. I am having trouble getting to it. One was loose and it seemed to help alittle. The noise is still there though. Is it normal to have a brownish residue on the rubber part that goes into the block from the coil over plug boot?

Still have yet to plug it into a programmer...
Not sure what the residue would be, but you should put some dielectric grease on the outside of and in the rubber boot that goes into the spark plug hole to keep out water.

I have a 2000 4.6 that has had two blown out plugs some time in the past. I haven't heard it myself but I've read they usually make a ticking noise before blowing out, and looseness in the plugs is part of the cause.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
King of Useless Mods

Thanks everyone for the assistance! I believe the clicking issue is associated with the power steering pump.

After I shot this video I pushed the pulley as close to the block as I could, put it all back together and the "clicking" didn't come back for a few minutes. Usually its extremely evident whenever the engine turns over. I am going to change out that pump as soon as I can and let everyone know the result!

Once again thanks for all the help!

Will
Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Brownish residue may be your AC compressor. Normal to have some, but excess could indicate your compressor clutch about to fail. Keep an eye on it!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you find out what exactly was the problem? I'm having the same ticking noise on my passenger side. Before it was much quiter and could only be heard outside of the truck. Now it got louder and you can even hear it, inside the truck. Either by the passanger side foot floor mats, or by my aftermarket head-unit because I guess it doesnt block out all sound since it's a single din.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6L "ticking" help!