Topic Sponsor

4.6L Dipstick Tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.6L Dipstick Tube

I have a 1997 F-150 4x4 with a 4.6 V8. The dipstick tube has rusted off even with the block. Mechanic says that only way to get it out is remove oil pan and drive it out from the bottom up. Any ideas on removing from topside? Pan removal is $$$$$

Thanks.

Bob
Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dipstick troubles - I have the same engine and I know your pain. Obtain from your local hardware store a very narrow steel cutting blade similar to use on the hand held electric jigsaw. Make sure to get the metal cutting version. They come in a variety of widths and lengths. Keep in mind that the dipstick tube is soft sheet metal and the block is cast iron.
Next, take a vise grip and clamp the saw at a 90 degree angle with the vise grip. From underneath or from the side, whereever you can, saw through the open hole and make two cuts just through the sheet metal. You will feel the difference in the cutting when you have gone from steel to cast iron. Take a small 8 inch 90 degree pick with a handle and with the side of a small ballpeen hammer drive the pick about 1/8 of an inch away from the cut between the cast iron and the sheetmetal. The broken dipstrick tube should roll up and come away from the cast iron. If it refuses, use a small penciltip butane torch and gently warm the cast iron. This will break out the rust and expand the cast iron. Once a space has been opened, remove the pick, use a pair of 90 degree angled needle nose pliers, insert one tang into the open space using the side of your ballpeen hammer, drive it is securely, then clamp the pliers and rotate it any way that you can. You will see that portion of the tube that has become clear separate and then pull out in one or two pieces. Good luck.
Inco Mec. Serv.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a problem I have run into with old Cadillacs. The way I handled this was, first, if necessary, square off the broken end. Then use the appropriate sized tap and cut threads into the broken off end of the dip stick tube. Once threaded I would then screw a bolt into it and use a slip hammer or a puller, depending on how much room I had to ease the broken end out of the engine block. Sometimes heating it helped loosen it. I always use a National Fine tap.

Last edited by transmaster; 03-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6L Dipstick Tube