Topic Sponsor

351 Stroker Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 351 Stroker Motor swap

I know that this looks like it's the wrong subforum, but I think y'all will help me out a little more. I have a stock 2002 Sport XL, but I wanted to get a little more out of it. So, I've decided on trying to squeeze a 351W stroked to 408 c.i.between the frame rails paired up with a Tremec TR-6060 six-speed stick and Lightning rear-end with 4.10 gears. My only hiccup is how to fit the 351 and try to keep an identical weight balance. Any other tips/tricks are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Have fun with wiring. There's a lot of sensors and wiring you're going to need to replace. I know of a 5.0 swap into a 4.6 crown victoria that never ran right, even after thousands of dollars just because of all the little sensors.

Build a badass 5.4 or a 4.6. It's easier and you can retain a lot of stock pieces and still make a lot of power. It's not near as hard and you don't have to worry about all your gauges, power breaks, steering and a ton of other little small things you neglect working because they still will.

What's in your truck now for a motor?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

It's a 4.2 V6 with a 5-speed
Old 11-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by emerson_16
It's a 4.2 V6 with a 5-speed
Find a 4.6 or a 5.4 and rebuild that from the ground up. Then you can retain all your factory things. I have a buddy who tried to do an old carberated early 70's chev 350 into his 98 half ton. He got it to run but he had no dash, no signal lights and nothing else worked either. The 302 powered grand marquis managed to get most of the things working but ac, cruise and the signal lights wouldn't work.

Your going to deal with a wiring mess that even the most seasoned mechanics probably won't be able to figure out and when something's wrong, you can't just plug it in and check the codes. Plus in a lot of places you can't swap out a motor for a significantly older one apparently. You'll also be bypassing a ton of emissions stuff as well.

If you want a good working motor, there's lots of crate 4.6's and even 5.4's that will do the job and if you want to build one from the ground up, it's not really that hard. Get a block for either the 4.6 or the 5.4 (me, I prefer a 4.6), pick up some pistons, heads and everything you need aftermarket and you'll see well over 300,400 hp done right and it will run like the motor that was in the truck before but you know, with a lot more power.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100 percent, you will have a rough time going between OBD1 and OBD2. If you REALLY want to put in the 408w it might be worth the time to buy a 9th generation flairside or lightening roller, but that is probably alot more work/investment than you're looking for. If you want some extra ponies why not just get a 5.4 out a lightening or a supercharged Harley Davidson edition? For the same amount of time and money to do a stroker you could get some pulley upgrades, port/polish the heads, and do a rebuild with valvetrain and everything. And since these engines where designed for your generation of truck they will be in a chassis designed to take the weight and your wiring will be almost if not totally the same for your current engine.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM

........hey im not trying to but in........but.....im doing the same thing and look at a 351 stroker...did a lot research and your in for a lot of work..alighnments...and getting through emmisions..( u will have them) and ur truck wont be worth anything....i have a 4.2 and want to put the 5.4 supercharger in it ...tranny...i just need direction....mines a 2001 f150...restored...painted....im doing research with service books but u cant beat on hands advise and knowledge........im going with what ford put in trucks for the year i have,,,,,or what i can make work from other years to work with pcm......i need and am looking for help and suggestions......found 5.4 SC with tranny...pcm...73k/ $4200....but dont know what i will be getting....for sure......
Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM

How can I tell if I have a 351 or a 390?

Quick Reply: 351 Stroker Motor swap