Throttle body spacer and cold air intake improve mileage on 4.9? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Throttle body spacer and cold air intake improve mileage on 4.9?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Throttle body spacer and cold air intake improve mileage on 4.9?

I have a 1996, with the 4.9 and its getting about 18 mpg. Im wondering if a throttle body spacer and cold air intake might improve the mileage any? I was thinking it may get at least 3 more miles per gallon. Does anyone know for sure?
Big Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Resident Dinosaur
 
Raptor22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 1,230
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
I have a 1996, with the 4.9 and its getting about 18 mpg. Im wondering if a throttle body spacer and cold air intake might improve the mileage any? I was thinking it may get at least 3 more miles per gallon. Does anyone know for sure?
Maybe very slightly but not 3MPGs. What would also help would be a freer flowing exhaust, proper injectors and timing, along with a half decent cam. Ford really crippled the 4.9Ls from the factory so they would have less HP than the 5.0L, they still have more torque though.

Good luck.
Raptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kaukauna, WI
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor22 View Post
Maybe very slightly but not 3MPGs. What would also help would be a freer flowing exhaust, proper injectors and timing, along with a half decent cam. Ford really crippled the 4.9Ls from the factory so they would have less HP than the 5.0L, they still have more torque though.

Good luck.
You may notice 3mpg increase for every tank but nothing really to noticeable. I believe there are underdrive pulleys on summit or jegs for this engine. That might gain you a little.
BusinessMan_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Moderator
5 Year Member
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lake Mary Florida
Posts: 9,125
Thanked 388 Times in 304 Posts
Default

Throttle body spacers are not going to give you any measurable gains in fuel milage, despite what the manufacturer states. They make good paper weights or door stops though. If they were as good as they are stated to be by the manufacturers, the auto industry would have them on from the factory to help their federal required fleet fuel mileage requirements.

Save your money.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Justin251's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Throttle body spacers are not going to give you any measurable gains in fuel milage, despite what the manufacturer states. They make good paper weights or door stops though. If they were as good as they are stated to be by the manufacturers, the auto industry would have them on from the factory to help their federal required fleet fuel mileage requirements.

Save your money.
Bingo.

Although I have seen good things with them in carbuerated cars. Usually with holes drilled in them for n20 lines.
Justin251 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little to almost no power while towing reader585 Maintenance Shop 2 09-10-2015 09:10 AM
jt2002hd's Platinum Build jt2002hd 2015 - Present Ford F150 5 09-07-2015 02:08 PM
Project Reaper mufflerbearing 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 5 09-05-2015 05:13 PM
Ecoboost air intake problem Kclark14 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 3 09-04-2015 02:48 PM
Ecoboost air intake problems Kclark14 General F150 Discussion 4 09-04-2015 09:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com