Topic Sponsor

Rattling noise from passenger floor board

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise from passenger floor board

Have a 1997 f150 v6 with 165K on it. The noise only rattles when im drive and accerlating. It sounds like it comes from the floor panel under neath the dashboard. It does not do this this when the truck in in ideal.

Also, while im in drive with the brake pedel on. I here a clicking/ticking sound. from the driver side from the dashboard. Sounds like the engine. but when i open door and have the hood up and foot to the brake i dont hear it. Only inside the cab. But when the truck is in park and neatural i dont hear it; however, in drive, Reverse, 1 and 2 I do hear it.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similiar noise that was driving me crazy. It seemed to change location depending upon where I happened to be standing/laying/sitting. Finally discovered that the insides of one of my cat converters was coming apart. Like your truck, mine did not do it at all times, just under certain load conditions. You might try hitting the cat on the driver side (I assume you have one there on your truck) with a rubber/plastic mallet. Whack it good four or five times while someone watches the tailpipe for pieces of stuff flying out (engine running). That's what eliminated my rattle, but within a few days, it caused the Service Engine Light to come. The cat no longer passed muster. Good news for me was the cat was covered with an 8 - 80 warranty.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from passenger floor board