Topic Sponsor

96 f150 intermittent no spark

Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 f150 intermittent no spark

I bought an 96 f150 6cyl 5 spd, runs good, no missing etc, but seem's once you drive it a bit it just shut's down. I have fuel pressure, replaced the coil, but no spark, I also noticed that it sometime's crank's slow as if the timing was advanced. Anyone have any idea's I was told it's possibly theremote fender located control module. anyone else experienced this? Also was told possibly the pick in distributor is htere anyway to test the distrib? I will pulling control module soon and have it tested. Thank's in advance for any insight I need to get this thing on the road. I should also add seem's once itt sit's and cool's down it fire's back up.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Check the vacuum advance on the distributor if it has one. also grab the distributor and see if it is securely bolted in, could be moving around on you a little. you could take the cap off and crank on it to watch the rotor move. hope it helps.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Update good info look!

no vacuum advance on 96 and ignition module is remotely located on fenderwell,

UPDATE:
ok the truck would run the when warm die going down the road, not start back up till cooled off, Ialso noticed it kind of acted like the timing was to advanced at time's when starting after the problem.

tested the ignition control module good

replaced coil I had anew one laying here

Distributor pick up was the problem,

I replaced the istributor for 85 bux local parts store back on the road again
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM

Exclamation Help.....please.....

About one month ago my brothers truck broke down. No spark. He first checked the distributor cap and rotor. then checking plug wires and then replaed coil. Next the ignition control module was the suspect. located on the inner fender (drivers side). Replaced ICM after finding out that we could test it at a local advanced auto. Still no spark. Next was the computer. Ordered a rebuilt one. Replace it and no spark. Then the distributor was next on list. So a rebuilt distributor was installed. At this point frustration was setting in. Even went as far as to pull another wiring harness for the motor going to computer. All relays have been checked and working. After calling in a mechanics help (also a friend) came over and checked things out and didnt know what else to test. While packing up the tools for the night he thought to giggle the wires in the harness. The truck started!! Kept trying to get the wires to fail but then would not fail. So it was a great moment! THEN, the truck started doing the same thing again. NO...SPARK! Me and my brother have gone through a lot but this is kickin' our butts. Do someone have any suggestions?
List of parts replaced.
Distributor
cap
rotor
Ignition Control Module
Wiring harness
Coil
Relays
Ground wires cleaned and reseated in whole engine compartment.

96 Ford f150 4.9L Automatic

I would really make it worth your while if it works.
Just looking out for my brother.....Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 07:42 AM

Default hey you didn't mention

check the ignition switch the square box under the dash on the column those go bad and actually are a safety recalled item, they fall apart and short out, they can cause all sort's of issue's even lead to a fire. Just a thought and a ten dollar part, I already replaced mineon my tuck and tempo and mustang, people over look them all the time that and it is an item that goe's bad on a ton of ford's.

Last edited by crazydave72; 05-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM

Sorry jsut saw that you cleaned and re connected all ground's ,
also make sure the ground strap from motor to firewall is connected and getting good connection mine also had a slow crank issue with a new starter and battery found my ground was disconnected and fixed that issue, was a craigslist truck and is doing pretty well now. new distributor fixed my issue. But i did repalce my ignition switch not the key part in column the square box under the dash make sure battery is disconnected when doing this as it could short and start a fire.

Last edited by crazydave72; 05-18-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK Labellemike, most of the time the temperature related no spark is either from the module or the pick up coil. Since both have been replaced and I hope they were from a quality parts house, not a gypo, I would do this. Get a good manual that has ignition troubleshooting in it, and learn it completely. Start from the beginning and go step by step. Memorize it, so when it happens again (in the dark and along side the road) you can find out where the problem is. As I know you will not be doing the previously mentioned method, get a can of compressed air to spray on the module and pickup, just to see if cooling then down quicker helps at all.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Smile Problem solved!!!! Thank you ALL

Thanks for the responses!! That only instigated my brother to figure out what was going on. After taking suggestions and the switch under the dash was replaced. Still did not fix the problem. He traced everything in the wiring harness and wires and connections were good. Reading a thread from another forum my brother had the understanding that the rebuild distributor was bad. With that thought in mind he picked up a distributor from a salvage yard, we installed it and it started and ran. Mystery solved...Other people have had a bad part and just assumed it was a tested working part. I could not believe this much money and time was spent from this part not in working order. On the flip side while things were apart found small problems that were correct. The truck runs so smooth you can't even hear or feel it run.
I will not say the name of retailer but i am sure others carry their rebuilds.
This was not a ford part.
Tell you your friends and spread the news if it can help someone else in this matter.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up. We need more just like you.

To bad your initial distributor purchase was defective. Its a bitch in this time of changing modular parts as the means to an end. (The guessing game begins.) Ect, ect. ect. Part after part.

Progress is great, but it also sucks. Good luck in the future, hang around and become one of us, if nothing else, its fun time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 f150 intermittent no spark