Topic Sponsor

3.7 V6 Review

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3.7 V6 Review

There is not a lot on the forums about driver's experiences with the 3.7 V6. Probably the best write up is Mike Levine's at pickuptrucks.com

... pulled my review down ... fuel mileage is terrible around town ... don't want to mislead anyone with one highway run ... longer term observation is needed.

Last edited by FI50; 02-08-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:47 PM

A little update ... the second 100 miles in town showing 17.6, overall is 15.6. I'm hoping that this engine's computer results are wildly low. The Mustang community reports that their fuel economy is much better when accurately tallied by hand at the fuel pump.

Overall impressions getting dampened by the fact this thing drinks like Charlie Sheen on a bender when stuck in stop and go traffic.

Moral of the story, we need more people to report what their experiences are on the 3.7.

anyone else?

Last edited by FI50; 02-06-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the info.

I just saw a 2011 3.7 reg. cab short bed 2wd and it was a zero option truck. $ 23,xxx sticker.
It didn't have the trailer hitch tho. Bummer.

It looked sharp in red however !
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM

If you hit the incentives just right, that truck could probably be yours for just under 20K, which would be cool for what you'd be getting.

The more I play with the Sync and computer the more fun it gets. With the XLT discount packages it is a no brainer to go that route IMHO.

You've had some cool T Birds! Some of my favorites on your list.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the post! Very cool to hear about this engine. It does kinda get neglected a bit but I'm glad to hear ford did well on this engine too. Enjoy your truck looks great! Cheers
Old 02-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by FI50
If you hit the incentives just right, that truck could probably be yours for just under 20K, which would be cool for what you'd be getting.

The more I play with the Sync and computer the more fun it gets. With the XLT discount packages it is a no brainer to go that route IMHO.

You've had some cool T Birds! Some of my favorites on your list.
Thanks F150 !
I really would love to have a shortbed 2wd with the 5.0 and a tow pkg., but there is something very alluring about a zero option 3.7 stripper model to tinker with. (can we say rear mount turbo ?)

I have never drove a 3.7 version yet, but for an extra $ 1,000 for the 5.0 Coyote engine and $350 for the limited slip 3.55 gears, it is more tempting to order the truck I want.

I just need to test drive a 3.7 when the weather is better.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 AM

I was reading up on the pickuptrucks.com review of the 3.7 and theirs ran 16.18 @ 88 mph in the 1/4. Impressive.
I wonder what a rear mount turbo and 5-6 lbs of boost with a tune and 3.73 gears would do to that 3.7 ?....Low 15's ? High 14's ?

Then I found a 5.0 test dated yesterday:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...liter-v-8.html
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM

I attended the Eco Boost tear down. If someone wanted to make those sort of modifications to this engine, they would be a whole lot better off starting with a 5.0 or simply buying the factory twin turbo.

These power train packages are so well refined that there just is not any low hanging fruit to grab for easy power. Ford has already optimized everything to the hilt to get what they are getting. Any modifications are going to be met with decreased longevity and potentially unexpected consequences from the engine management system's reaction.

In effect, this 3.7 is just like my Acura Integra GSR's little VTEC screamer. It revs to about the same RPM and comes on the cams at the same point. On the V6 the exhaust was even optimized to a high degree.

Like a high output engine, the fuel economy is atrocious if it is driven aggressively. Due to the weight of the F150, it seems pretty easy to find yourself in the aggressively inefficient range of the tachometer while dealing with stop and go congestion and making left hand turns into busy roadways.

I will learn more with more time behind this engine, but I'm reaching the conclusion that the 5.0 is the way to go in nearly every instance. I'm wondering if some attorney is going to buy the V6 and launch a class action. The mileage from this package is no where near what Ford & the EPA promised. (not that I'd condone such a thing, but I would understand it).
Old 02-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

how many miles do you have on the truck?..
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Hi, new here. Just picked up a new XL 3.7 last weekend. Only have 100 miles on it so no data on fuel mileage yet. I have a light foot, and I'm in no hurry to get anywhere usually. If I want speed I'll hop on my motorcycle.

So far I am very pleased. Mine is basically stripped , but with the power package, and tow package. I love the hose out floor. I hate carpets in trucks.

I was a little concerned at first about the V6 having enough torque to climb the hills out here in SE New York. I am not concerned anymore. The 6 speed works like a charm and it doesn't wind out going uphills like I expected a "small" V6 with a 7k redline to do. The tranny just drops into a happy torque zone and up you go. I guess this has a lot to do with the variable valve timing.

My use for this truck is twice a year towing a small boat about 5 miles to the lake, hauling firewood when I find it, and maybe carrying the occasional quad or motorcycle. I'll only put about 5000 miles a year on it.

Unless you really need a big V8, I think this motor will do what about 75% of prospective customers will need. 300+ HP is not a small number, and unless you are towing multiple horse trailers, a 6000 lb towing rating is going to be more than enough.

This is my first American vehicle in a long time, and I am really pleased with what I see. Even my stripped truck has a nice quality interior.

Anyway, gonna hang around here from time to time and get my F150 jones on.
The following users liked this post:
chuck long (11-23-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.7 V6 Review