Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

For those of you that have lowered your trucks,

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default For those of you that have lowered your trucks,

Why can't I just take the stock coil springs and cut a loop off to lower the front?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas Transit
Why can't I just take the stock coil springs and cut a loop off to lower the front?
You "can," but it's definitely not recommended. For one thing, your ride quality will be more harsh than using some real lowering components. I've seen some people's suspension blow out because of cutting springs.

It's a cheap way to get a vehicle lower, but it comes with a cheap ride quality.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by sdatrlp23
You "can," but it's definitely not recommended. For one thing, your ride quality will be more harsh than using some real lowering components. I've seen some people's suspension blow out because of cutting springs.

It's a cheap way to get a vehicle lower, but it comes with a cheap ride quality.

I have done it in the past on many vehicles to get that "just right" look, I'm only talking about 2" front and looking for 2" rear drop leafs with a 2" drop (raised) shackle.

I just thought maybe the front coils were pigtailed on both ends or some other reason against cutting them.

Thanks for the reply, but I think I am going to experiment a bit, if nothing else I can get the truck exactly where I want it and then buy the lowering components if I don't like the ride.

I ordered a Ground Force lowering kit 3 weeks ago, and now they are telling me I won't see it till "sometime" in Oct. Also the truck is a 14, so it eliminates a lot of kits.

Again, appreciate the response.

Stan

Last edited by Kansas Transit; 09-05-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas Transit
I have done it in the past on many vehicles to get that "just right" look, I'm only talking about 2" front and looking for 2" rear drop leafs with a 2" drop (raised) shackle. I just thought maybe the front coils were pigtailed on both ends or some other reason against cutting them. Thanks for the reply, but I think I am going to experiment a bit, if nothing else I can get the truck exactly where I want it and then buy the lowering components if I don't like the ride. I ordered a Ground Force lowering kit 3 weeks ago, and now they are telling me I won't see it till "sometime" in Oct. Also the truck is a 14, so it eliminates a lot of kits. Again, appreciate the response. Stan
Sounds good. You should come back after experimenting and let us know how it went! That might help out some future members.

Hopefully you get the Ground Force kit sooner rather than later.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

If you really can't wait a month to drop you truck or a 2013 drop kit and 2013 LCA and install it on your 2014.

Wayne
Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Z7What
If you really can't wait a month to drop you truck or a 2013 drop kit and 2013 LCA and install it on your 2014.

Wayne

Well Wayne, as of tom. I already have been waiting a month! I guess I have to wonder if the GF kit being one of the few to fit the 14's with no issues, has put them behind with an onslaught of orders? I'm going to take a hard look at it today.

Last edited by Kansas Transit; 09-06-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Well, took a good look at the front suspension today, you can NOT cut the front springs down on THIS strut type front suspension.

Reason being has nothing to do with ride, geometry, or handling, reason is that one end of the spring (bottom) is a "pigtail" end, and the other end of the spring (top) is a "square" cut end, neither of these types of ends can be cut to shorten the spring (or lower the truck) if you will.

If the top end of that spring was a "Tangential" cut, I would have gone ahead and took a loop out, but with the Square cut end the spring will not set correctly into the top mount pocket if cut.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting to know "why".

Back to waiting for my kit.

Quick Reply: For those of you that have lowered your trucks,