Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Should I lower it?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I lower it?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you think of me wanting to lower my 2010 Fx4. Friends that I've talked to think I'm crazy for thinking about it but lately I've been checking out this section and loving some of the trucks.

Everybody around here lifts their truck whether it be a simple leveling kit or a 12" lift. The thing is it's all for show. I just bought the truck a few months ago and figured I'd go off road with it but around here its all rocks and mud and I don't want to beat the crap out of my truck.

Would a 2/4 inch drop with 22" rims look good, I can get some pics of the truck but basically its a black with grey supercab with the 6.5' box.

I have quite a few questions about handling and comfort and what-not. The roads around here have quite a few pot holes, will the suspension bottom out with it lowered? What are the best size tires to get for comfort but also good looks? I'm not fond of the rubber band looking tires and I'm sure they wouldn't last long up here.

Any info is appreciated, Thanks!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 PM
F150 SUSPENSION GURU

Received 114 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Quin
Hey guys, I was just wondering what you think of me wanting to lower my 2010 Fx4. Friends that I've talked to think I'm crazy for thinking about it but lately I've been checking out this section and loving some of the trucks.

Everybody around here lifts their truck whether it be a simple leveling kit or a 12" lift. The thing is it's all for show. I just bought the truck a few months ago and figured I'd go off road with it but around here its all rocks and mud and I don't want to beat the crap out of my truck.

Would a 2/4 inch drop with 22" rims look good, I can get some pics of the truck but basically its a black with grey supercab with the 6.5' box.

I have quite a few questions about handling and comfort and what-not. The roads around here have quite a few pot holes, will the suspension bottom out with it lowered? What are the best size tires to get for comfort but also good looks? I'm not fond of the rubber band looking tires and I'm sure they wouldn't last long up here.

Any info is appreciated, Thanks!
djm 2/4 with rear djm shocks no probs at all and perfect on 305 40 22s which is not rubber band
Old 03-04-2011, 11:51 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen some pretty sick lowered 4wd's. They make AMAZING street trucks; handle corner's like nothing with a rear sway bar and some decent rubber!

Chevy did it wither there SS Silverados; I wish Ford would have done it with some of their Lightenings.

My personal opinion is lift a 4wd, lower a 2wd, but I still think a lowered 4wd street truck is awesome however a jacked up 2wd is just pointless, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 03-04-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im in the same boat lol i have a '10 Screw 4x4 lariat and im going crazy trying to decide whether i want to level or lower it. i dont off-road but do have roads with potholes. leveling with 33' tires will cause a drop in mpg's and im just not sure if its worth it. i do need the 4x4 for the snow in the winter but other than that i dont think i need aggressive tires and if i did go that route, it would be just for show other than the winter. i would love a 2/4 drop but for now im thinking about just lowering the rear to make it level with the front and maybe do 24s. its driving me crazy trying to decide!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Much bigger fan of lifted 4x4s but I like lowered trucks. A small drop and some decent 20s-22s will look good for sure.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VEECON
im in the same boat lol i have a '10 Screw 4x4 lariat and im going crazy trying to decide whether i want to level or lower it. i dont off-road but do have roads with potholes. leveling with 33' tires will cause a drop in mpg's and im just not sure if its worth it. i do need the 4x4 for the snow in the winter but other than that i dont think i need aggressive tires and if i did go that route, it would be just for show other than the winter. i would love a 2/4 drop but for now im thinking about just lowering the rear to make it level with the front and maybe do 24s. its driving me crazy trying to decide!
VEECON....I'm right there with you. I live in Wisconsin and the roads are pure garbage apart from the Freeway. I have a Scab with the 5.5' Box and with the short Wheelbase the ride is choppy as it is. I want to follow Tonys suggestion and do a 2.5"/4" Drop and NOT level the truck. I'm concerned about ride as well, but there don't seem to be a lot of guys lowering their trucks up in the North. I'd hate to invest all that money and end up hating the thing......I wish I had the Screw...I may be mistaken but I think the wheelbase is longer and that would help with the bumps. The Black F150 in this thread is the "Dream" for me....I can't afford to trade and my truck only has 11,000 miles on it. Good Luck....You'll see me on most of your threads......Monsterface
Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No!!!!!! If you do that just get a 2wd
Old 03-06-2011, 11:42 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy suck
No!!!!!! If you do that just get a 2wd
hater's gonna hate

it's your truck man; do what you please to it
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Sara Palin 2011!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the exact same concerns. Black 06 4x4, and I wand to drop it and level it. I live in Upstate NY, so we have potholes like whoa. I'm just mostly concerned about how the ride is going to be.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm hated

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't lower a 4x4 but at least you're thinking with your head. Upgrading your ride for better performance on the pavement is the way to go!

Lowering does suffer a little in the long run with ride quality but when there's no compromise for style who really cares about ride comfort?

Potholes are easy enough to avoid. For me it's more concerning entering or exiting parking lots and gas stations etc.

As for damage from potholes - worry about damaging your rims before worrying about bottoming out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I lower it?