Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

I know this is ford but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I know this is ford but...

Let me start by saying I am a big fan of lifted 4x4 and and lowered 2 wheel drive. Problem with lifting is it is so costly! I work at a tire shop and I would have much more it larger tires alone then I do in my drop/bagged set up. The goal is a few years down the road to lift this truck 6+ inches and roll it on 37s. But for now it can't stay stock and event 4x4 trucks look good lowered. On to the show...

There aren't too many bagged set ups on this site so I figured I would help calm some fears and hopefully inspire some guys to step up to the plate and get some air ride!
The truck is an "06 Tahoe that I de-cranked the torsion bars down around 2.5 inches. I tow my truck to the track and occasionally other trailers so I didn't want to just use a drop coil spring out back because it would never be level with a trailer. Not to mention how amazing air bags ride.

I installed a level valve from a semi truck application that was supposed to have a 15 second delay so that every time the suspension moves it isn't consuming and exhausting air. They told me the one I got had a delay and turns out it doesn't. It fits perfectly in my small area so instead of changing the valve I am going to install a restricter on each bag so they won't move air so quickly, and that should help because my compressor runs 80% of the time now.

Quick run down of parts:
Bags are used from ebay, I forget exact cost but right at $100
Tank is 1 gallon, $55 after shipping
Level valve was $95 at my discount($140 to retail)
Fittings were around $35 for all of them
Hose was $20 for 20 feet
Pipe to make the bag cups was $30
And around $50 for miscellaneous bolts and what not.

Here are pictures of some of the parts.

This was a mock up just setting the bag in place. I welded bolts to the top of the bag cup that matched the three slotted holes if the factory spring perch. On the bottom bag cup I made little tabs to clamp the cup down to the axle perch for the factory leaf spring. Beauty is that I could switch back to coil springs in about 30 min if I needed to.

This is how it sat for a wile because I de-cranked the front but was gathering parts to bag the rear.

And this is the final product. Level at 2.5/4 drop and will stay level if I have just me or 6 adults plus my trailer hooked up.

For comparison here is a compleatly stock picture.

Last edited by custm2500; 12-22-2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 AM
2008 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy!!!

~Screams and runs~

Last edited by Jmarine81; 12-22-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: I know this is ford but...