Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

I was bored

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I was bored

so i went outside today and tried a trick i did on an old dodge truck i had. i had it lowered in the back with 2" drop shackles then used leaf spring clamps to clamp the leaf pack together and that gave me another 1.5". well i haven't done anything to my F150 yet, but i put c clamps on the leaf pack to see how much it would drop, and it netted a 1 1/8" drop. now, i know that is not a lot, but for those people only wanting an 1" or so, using spring clamps would be cheaper and easier to put on than shackles. i will tell you though, on my old dodge, the spring clamps made the ***** end really stiff, but it wouldn't spin, the spring clamps kind of aid in traction like. and i had the Hemi engine. just thought i would share...
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

not that I'm going to try, but how in the hell did you put c-clamps on leaf springs to make it lower?

I've got to see pics of this...
Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 AM

take shop C clamps and put the leaf pack in them and crank them down all the way. pretty basic really. i didn't take pics, but it's simple. i have 2, 3" clamps, open them all the way up and put them on the front and rear of the leaf pack and crank them down tight.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:37 AM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

oooooohhhhh, you mean like out at the edges of the overload leafs? to bring them up against the other leafs?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oooooohhhhh, you mean like out at the edges of the overload leafs? to bring them up against the other leafs?
exactly
Old 10-23-2010, 03:52 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

got cha
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dropped is a good thing but this is a terrible idea. I will tell you why. You now have your spring rate at max load all the time. This means you might as well be driving on the bump stops because you have a unloaded truck running on a fully loaded leaf pack. Your only option for this to work and not ruin the ride of your truck is to remove the overload leaf. If you wish to haul the factory load rating any more you need a set of helper bags and you will be back well above factory load rating to haul again.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 AM

i said previously it would make the truck very stiff. i didn't say it was a "good" idea. i did this on my previous truck because i didn't use it to haul stuff with. i used it to play with and drag race. doing this kept me from spinning and having to spend more money on traction bars. a set of springs clamps cost less than $15, and they are SIMPLE to install and take off. if someone wanted a little extra drop, these are perfect, assuming they don't care how their truck rides and they don't haul a lot. i didn't recommend this setup, i was simply letting everyone know you could do this.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Supercab
i said previously it would make the truck very stiff. i didn't say it was a "good" idea. i did this on my previous truck because i didn't use it to haul stuff with. i used it to play with and drag race. doing this kept me from spinning and having to spend more money on traction bars. a set of springs clamps cost less than $15, and they are SIMPLE to install and take off. if someone wanted a little extra drop, these are perfect, assuming they don't care how their truck rides and they don't haul a lot. i didn't recommend this setup, i was simply letting everyone know you could do this.
This is the point I was making. Didn't want anyone to see this idea and not realise the major draw backs.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
F150 SUSPENSION GURU

Received 114 Likes on 107 Posts

just get shackles

Quick Reply: I was bored