Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4

Hey all
Had a belltech Strut & Shock/ shackle kit installed as the second step of reworking my Lariat. I know there are many options out there, but I chose what I regard as the mildest drop you can do - a 2" front and 3" rear.

Did a fair bit of reading, and saw as many pictures as I could. 4x4 drops seem to be different in the eyes of the manufactuers. For example: Ground Force's minimal drop has the 2wd's doing a 2/4, but for a 4x4 they start with a 2/3. If you want to go lower, you get into spindle changes up front, and flip kits out back. I simply didn't want to go this route. Doesn't mean I don't like the look of lower- I simply didn't want the major hardware changes.

The difference between Belltech's 2/3 and Ground Forces was this:
Belltech uses the factory coils with new adjustable struts, while Groundforce uses new Coils and factory shocks. In my eyes that means the factory shock would be partially compressed all the time, while the Belltech is designed for the full range of its travel.
Out back, Ground Force uses shackles only. The Belltech set up was with Street Performance shocks and shackles.
I simply preferred to go with the Highly regarded Street Performance shocks all around and the 2" shackle in back. Remove the 1" blocks, and you have your 3". I know you all know this anyways, but thought I'd ramble on...
Ok- you all need to sit down.
I had the work done at a Ford Dealer.
I know...the guy is an idiot. But my reason was this. This dealer deals a lot in doing customs up here in Toronto. Raised and Lowered -and will back up the work. They are dealer rates, but I just dropped 50k last year, and don't want my investment giving me headaches. The tech came out and deallt with me directly, and was a fantastic guy.
The install took him a few days. In order to get it the alignment perfect as he wanted, they had to install a camber kit (# 7L1Z 3B236 AB). When I was on my way up to pick up the truck, he callled me and told me it was making a noise in the left front, and he wouldn't let it go like that. Said it had to be perfect. Turns out the actuator assembly needing replacing and was covered by warranty.
Driving:
The closest thing I can compare the driving to now is to an '11 Taurus SHO I drove last year. The ride is tight and responsive. The truck was like a yacht compared to what it is now. It still is a truck, but it is much more responsive. No more front end braking dive. Bumps are not harsh, but are more present than before. My routine drive to work has city and highway. I've had it up to 85mph, and have zero shaking or vibration. It is as smooth as butter. I am extremely pleased.
The dealer strictly used Ground Force due to their dealings with Ford until my truck. The tech was impressed enough with my kit, that they asked their rep to carry a couple for them from now on.
Sorry about the pictures. All I could do are evening pics with a dirty truck. And the rims are my ugly factory's that I'll use through the winter, and put my 23" on then. Should look ok.
Sorry for the long post, but I am very happy. If you are in Southern Ontario and are looking to do this- I'll hook you up with these guys. They were first class. The dealership is Blackstock Ford in Orangeville, and my tech is Paul. He's the only guy who will touch my truck from now on.
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by Jimaa66:
lakers08 (11-15-2012), SgtDOC (11-17-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good... wow you are lucky to be able to have the same tech a dealer or even speak with them one on one.... here in CA, USA you deal only with the service writer. My dealer said same abot Groundforce, but would consider Belltech to a sub out job.... can you elaborate on the ride... you said not harsh but feel bumps more?? how ride on freeway etc... I am looking at same set up on 2wd but do a lot of long haul trips.... don't want to looe ride quality. did you do any before and after measuremnts?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 AM

About the ride-
No, not harsh in any way. Firm is simply the best word. There is some minimal body roll pushing into corners, but the truck is almost flat. That nose dive on braking is all but gone as well. No, the ride is very nice. Just feels a bit weird being low down again- you expect to see over traffic like before. (You still can...it's just a bit lower.)
I'd drive for hours on the freeway in this now. Its still very comfortable, but actually handles now.
After every drive, I am more and more impressed. These Street Performance struts 'n shockes are great. And the alignment seems to have worked wonders. Drives truer now more than ever.
Too stupid to do measurements, buit not really regretful. I am sure it dropped 2 and 3. Regardless- what would I do about it now? lol. The height is what it is. Certainly looks right.
The following users liked this post:
SgtDOC (11-17-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks awesome, and excellent write up.... I like the detail input.... I think you have convinced me to go that route vs. Groundforce then. I have 4x2 so I am leaning to 1" drop in front and the 2" shackle shock set up in rear, with shims of course.... I will admit I am scared to do anything from stock... I see a ton of posts about the infamous low speed/acceleration vibration these new fords get when any lowering is done.
Jimaa66 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Damn, thanks for the walk through. Exactly what I'm considering and you've given me a lot of stuff to consider.

Great looking truck; that drop is perfect. A few days with he dealer though? If you don't mind me asking, what did they charge you?
Jimaa66 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
F150 Forum

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome. I don't understand why Ford Dealers carry Groundforce for these trucks. The Belltech kit is very simple and improves ride quality. It's the only kit we recommend for F150s.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheSuspensionSource:
Jimaa66 (11-14-2012), SgtDOC (11-17-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks to you both.
Dealers up here run around $99 an hour, so yeah...some money exchanged hands. I had a lot of other work done as well, but will say...yeah...money changed hands. (I put away the bill, and don't wanna look for a while...)
I hate to be comparing to Ground Force, really. I KNOW they make good components. I rode in a 2wd '12 with a 2/4 Ground Force, and it was very nice as well, bellieve me. I simply preferred the system architecture that drives Belltech. And these shocks, jesus! I need to slow down! I tried hard to get anti-sways that would work with this kit, but I reallly don't think they exist yet. Now, I don't think I need them. I don't really hammer around like I used to, so it doesn't really matter. But I do like a vehicle that HANDLES. With this kit, I think I've found what I'm looking for.
I'll post a couple more pictures of a cleaner truck over the weekend, so you can get a clearer picture of the wheel-to-cab height.
One thing- I also purchsed a set of rear wheel well liners. When you do your drop, spend the extra buck50 and get a set. It makes the space in the back wheel well look smaller. A very tidy thing that should be stock from the factory.
SgtDOC (11-17-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 PM
F150 SUSPENSION GURU

Received 114 Likes on 107 Posts

doing these trucks for years the belltech and djm by far are the best way to go. It helps when you install these kits also
SgtDOC (11-17-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. Nice post.
Jimaa66 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Final few pics...

Finally had some nice weather, so I washed the truck at home for probably the last time until spring - snow will be here soon...
I just wanted to post these pics for anyone wanting to see the final height of a 2/3 Belltech Shock/ shackle drop on a four wheel drive. Not too bad for a 4x4 with the stock 20's on it (ugly as they are...)
SgtDOC-have a look at the rear wheel close up to see the wheel well liners. They add a nice touch.
No more work until next spring!
Attached Thumbnails Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-side.jpg   Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-driver-front.jpg   Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-driver-rear.jpg   Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-front-wheel.jpg   Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-rear-wheel.jpg  

Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4-2-3-drop-rear-wheel-close.jpg  
SgtDOC (11-18-2012)

Quick Reply: Belltech 2/3 Drop '11 Screw 4x4