Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Assistance with Rear Lowering Leaf Springs and Auto Load Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Assistance with Rear Lowering Leaf Springs and Auto Load Leveling

Hi, All--

I am seeking to to lower my 2013 FX2, and don't like the idea of having my axle that close to the frame rail, so I want to use 3" Lowering springs to lower the rear, along with a shackle to get a total of 5".

What I would like as well is to install an automatic load-leveling air system with a compressor similar to the one I have in my 2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS.

Anybody know of such an air kit for the rear of these trucks? If there is one for another application that is close enough in design, I could probably fab up brackets to make it work . . .

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Paving the Way

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I dont know anything about a load level system, but guys are using Helper bags with there Flip kits for towing and carrying a load. The lowering Leafs for our trucks (2009+) are GF 4" lowering Leafs. If you go with a Shackle you can pull 5 & 6 out of it , But thats the Border of C~Notch Territory.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsy Pavin
I dont know anything about a load level system, but guys are using Helper bags with there Flip kits for towing and carrying a load. The lowering Leafs for our trucks (2009+) are GF 4" lowering Leafs. If you go with a Shackle you can pull 5 & 6 out of it , But thats the Border of C~Notch Territory.
Thanks, man--

The whole point of using lowering springs instead of a flip kit is because I really don't like the idea of swapping the axle to the top of the spring, where the axle tubes could potentially bottom out on the frame rails.

That's not a possibility if you use lowering springs . . .

I also don't like the idea of a C-Notch, either . . . there is no way that the frame is as strong with a notch in it than without one . . .

Spoke to Air-Lift today, and they told me they have an automatic load leveling system avaialble for my truck, and it works with a lowering kit, so I think I'm set!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Paving the Way

Rojjer, well im glad you found what you where looking for. You will Still bottom out with the drop leafs, the frame rails will still only be a Inch's away.. Its just using the un-arched leafs vs's flipping the leafs under the axle... And ofcourse everyone says they like the ride quality different than the next guy, (keeping there stock leafs & fliping vs getting Drop Leafs) so have fun deciding what you want. Hahahah

Check out my Thread from the other day (down from this one).. Pros & cons of Flip kit vs drop Leafs.

Last edited by CALM Trucking; 09-13-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by stonecoldtx
Thanks, man--

The whole point of using lowering springs instead of a flip kit is because I really don't like the idea of swapping the axle to the top of the spring, where the axle tubes could potentially bottom out on the frame rails.

I also don't like the idea of a C-Notch, either . . . there is no way that the frame is as strong with a notch in it than without one . . .

Spoke to Air-Lift today, and they told me they have an automatic load leveling system avaialble for my truck, and it works with a lowering kit, so I think I'm set!
A drop is a drop....It doesn't matter if you use leafs or if you use a flip kit, assuming they both lower the same distance, you will still be the same distance from the frame rail to the axle regardless of the way to go. Using leaf springs to lower will potentially make you run out of room to mount airbags if you need them to tow, where a flip kit will still give you more room to mount an airbag kit if needed.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stonecoldtx
Thanks, man--

At 5" you'll probably find the bump stops whether it's flipped or leaf springs. It all depends on the ride quality you want though. Leaf springs are going to give a much stiffer ride than a flip will. That's the main reason I went with a flip and helpers since mine is a DD.

A notch can weaken the frame, but it depends on what type and how it's installed. I wouldn't give a bolt-in notch a second look, but good quality weld in c-notch or step notch shouldn't hurt.

I imagine the helpers will be a tight fit with the leaves, but I'm sure you can make it work. Did they give you a part number on the kit?
Old 09-13-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by SwayzeCrazy
At 5" you'll probably find the bump stops whether it's flipped or leaf springs. It all depends on the ride quality you want though. Leaf springs are going to give a much stiffer ride than a flip will. That's the main reason I went with a flip and helpers since mine is a DD.

A notch can weaken the frame, but it depends on what type and how it's installed. I wouldn't give a bolt-in notch a second look, but good quality weld in c-notch or step notch shouldn't hurt.

I imagine the helpers will be a tight fit with the leaves, but I'm sure you can make it work. Did they give you a part number on the kit?
SlamAir 59210 for the airbag kit
SmartAir 25415 (single path)/25430 (Dual Path) for the automatic load leveling system.

They sent me the instructions for the airbag kit, and it is designed so it can work with either lowering springs or a flip kit.

I spoke to Ground Force about their lowering kit just a little while ago; they told me that their engineering department designs their springs to be within 10% of the factory spring rate.

They also told me that they are the ones that build the Ford Racing kits, and as such, they have to comply with the standards that Ford has set forth; he stated that Ford never intended for the axle to be flipped, which is why their kit was selected.

The guy said this one is a special order kit available through Ford Racing. and could even be installed by a dealer prior to sale of the vehicle.

HOWEVER--prior to talking to him, I have looked on the Ford Racing site, and scoured the Internet looking for a Ford Racing kit, and have never found or even heard of the kit to which he referred, so maybe he was mistaken, or maybe it's a kit that hasn't been released to the public yet.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Paving the Way

Thumbs up

Well i don't know anything about Ford Racing etc... but it sounds like Ground Forces Sales pitch BS. Hahahaha.. Ground Force has been making these Leaf kits for years and for all the Models.... Ford is the Most expensive Kit for whatever reason & you cant just buy the Leafs like you can for the Toyota Tundra, Dodge or Chevy...
But none of that matters as long as you read up on it & deside what you want, cause thats all that matters. Lol. Cant wait to see a Before & After
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I disagree that "a drop is a drop" - if you use your truck to carry a fair bit from time to time...
the physics are a bit different when the spring is supported by the axle, as opposed to u bolts and 4 nuts, like when you flip it.
the distance comments are true regarding space.
not trying to start an argument...
i have heard the lowering springs give a harsher ride than a flip- much harsher. Can't confirm- simply heard that.
Love to see pics and a report when done as well!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimaa66
I disagree that "a drop is a drop" - if you use your truck to carry a fair bit from time to time...
the physics are a bit different when the spring is supported by the axle, as opposed to u bolts and 4 nuts, like when you flip it.
the distance comments are true regarding space.
not trying to start an argument...
i have heard the lowering springs give a harsher ride than a flip- much harsher. Can't confirm- simply heard that.
Love to see pics and a report when done as well!
When its on top, its also supported by 2 bolts....One in the shackle and one in the hanger. The u bolts are pretty strong. I don't see them failing easily.

Quick Reply: Assistance with Rear Lowering Leaf Springs and Auto Load Leveling