Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

airbag suspension... yes or no??

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
blk harley 150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag suspension... yes or no??

what do you guys think about bagging the suspension...or just stick with lowering kit....? i got a 07 harley lowered 2" fron and 5" rear air shocks...i want to lower it some more but should i bag it or not? i heard they cause alot of problems
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ill be honest. bag do have more problems than a normal static drop. but now a days they are much less problem matic than they were in the past. if you do the bags right you will have very few problems. but you do have to maintain the system, which is really just making sure fitting are tight, checking/replacing valves which the most common part to go bad. but also if you are bagging your truck i hope you want to keep it for a very long time because its hard to sell when you cut up the frame like that.

with all that being said I LOVE air ride would do it on my truck if i had the money

Old 10-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 138 Likes on 103 Posts

If you do it right it is just as dependable as a static drop
Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 PM

air ride has a better ride than static too, plus its coolto have bags lol
Old 10-19-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bags are were it is at. Not just to be cool and show off. Air ride is an amazing ride and handles not nothing else can. You can get much lower then static yet still go just about anywhere you would ever go with a truck. They have very little to no issues and require almost no maitinance.

The ONLY down side is the cost. IF you install/fab everything your self you are looking at no less then $2000. It can quickly cost more depending on the parts you choose and if you want someone else to do the work you you should plan on $4000 on the very low end.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video is jokes haha. "my turn to build my truck" he says, right before going down a list of how he did nothing to it himself.

I think the bigger downside to bags is that in order to get lower than static drop, you have to c-notch. And for alot of people that means losing the practicality, and reason for having a truck. You end up with a seriously thirsty, fairly slow, long 2 door car. It looks cool, but isn't practical at all.

Last edited by Jaytheredneck1; 11-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah he seems like a tool.... But it's a sick truck
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Bag it. My other truck is bagged and has been for about 7 years. If you are a good fabricator you will have little to no problems. The only thing to maintain is keeping your water traps empty. If you have an engine driven compressor you need to keep it oiled aswell. You'll love it. It's fun. If done right even with a notch it can still be used as a truck just like before, maybe even more so. Have you seen all the bagged duallys pulling wedges with 4 bagged trucks on them?

Last edited by 1lowranger; 11-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaytheredneck1
I think the bigger downside to bags is that in order to get lower than static drop, you have to c-notch. And for allot of people that means losing the practicality, and reason for having a truck. You end up with a seriously thirsty, fairly slow, long 2 door car. It looks cool, but isn't practical at all.

This is one of the most mis-informed statements I have heard in a wile.

With bags you can tow much more weight without sagging the rear of the truck. Obviously it is up to you how hard you want the strain the drive train but you can tow and haul much more weight then with the factory springs.

If you are referring to having to put a huge step notch in and it taking up bed space that isn't the case either. Just because you bag your truck doesn't mean you have to lay frame. With most static drops you should notch the frame regardless and the lower you want to go the bigger it has to be. You can do a under bed notch on most trucks and get with in 2-3 inches of the ground.

Strength isn't an issue with any size notch because when done correctly the frame will be stronger then the factory anyhow. So again you can still tow anything and more then you could before.

I have fully bagged and 4 linked my truck in my Sig.(it isn't in the picture) As soon as I did I was certain I will never own a truck again without airbags. The ride, weight capacity and everything is so amazing it is well worth it.

I recently bought an "06 Tahoe and being 4wd and it has a huge payment I can't afford to fully bag it but I have almost all the parts I need to bag the rear. I lowered the torsion bars to drop the front around 2.5 inches and the bags will allow me to drop the rear about 4 inches to match. It is a simple set up with a level valve. In other words it isn't for up down and side to side. Just to improve the already amazing ride quality and so when I drop a trailer on the hitch it won't sag.

Bags aren't cheap but the only two downsides are cost, and time. Maintenance is minimal, and ride/handling are second to none!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I haven't done a full air bag suspension. But I just added bags for load leveling on a 2011 f250. It made a world of difference. It almost eliminated swaying with a 10000 pound 28' trailer. Plus it auto adjusts and keeps the truck level. Gonna throw some on my 150 soon.

Quick Reply: airbag suspension... yes or no??