Topic Sponsor
Pre-1997 Truck Sales

Northeast: 1996 4x4 Reg Cab Long Bed 6 cylinder 5spd 128k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 4x4 Reg Cab Long Bed 6 cylinder 5spd 128k miles

Vehicle is located in Arlington Virginia.

Price: $4000

Bottom Line: Everything works (including the AC, which I just used yesterday). I drove this truck to Lancaster PA on 12/22/15 (230 miles round trip) without incident.

Photos Here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TA&usp=sharing

Details: Both fuel tanks work properly. Has a CD player with aux input. The truck has F250 springs all the way around. The tires have less than 3k miles (Firestone Destination LE2s) on them. The suspension has been entirely redone within the last 5 years. It has the usual rear wheel well / fender rust, and surface rust on the underside. The truck has some body dings and dents, all of which should be visible in the pictures.

I bought the truck in November 2011 with ~121k miles, it now has ~128,600. I have the CarFax (which I can provide), which is clean, which has 7 total owners (but really it is 6 because the title change I did to joint title it with my wife counted as an additional owner). I have the service records from the previous owner (which are included in the list below), as well as records (including receipts) for everything I did. Additionally, when I got the vehicle there were old parts for the clutch and fuel system still in the toolbox, so I am confident the clutch was done fairly recently as well (it certainly feels that way). I had no intention of getting rid of this vehicle, but a good deal on a truck better suited to my needs fell into my lap (the previous owner sold it because he needed a club cab). As you can tell from the money I've spent below (well over $3000 in receipts, not including my labor on some fairly significant jobs), I planned on keeping this truck a long time.

The Good:

4/8/11 Mileage: 118,885 (Previous Owner)
Replace Right Front Engine Mount
Rear Brake Adjusters
4 Wheel Alignment
Replace Rear Spring Brackets, Shackles, and Springs (F250 Springs)

7/2/11 Mileage: 119,888 (Previous Owner)
Clutch line repaired and bled
Replace Right inner and outer tie rods
Replace Rear Axle Seals
Change Rear Differential Fluid
Replace Thermostat and Gasket
Remove and Replace Exhaust Gaskets

11/8/11 Mileage: 121,786 (Current Owner)
Inspection

12/18/11 5x7” (Rear) Speakers

12/12/13 Replace Transmission Fluid - Red Line D4 ATF (prior to making this change the truck was difficult to get into first when cold - after this it was not an issue).

1/1/13 Oil Change (I stuck with conventional oil because I did not want to risk having leaks where none were before).

7/21/13 2-Core Radiator (autozone)

8/1/13 Shock/Spring Towers, Front Springs, Caliper Brake Lines and most of Aluminum Brake Lines and Fittings, oil pan gasket (Fel-Pro), and oil pump (not high volume). (This was a serious job, but the previous towers were definitely showing their age).

11/2/13 Door Seals / Weatherstrip - Replace Drive and Passenger Door Seal - Wire Brush and Treat Surface Rust - Eastwood Rust Encapsalator and Pacific Green Paint from Autozone (despite my efforts, this rust has returned, albeit slowly).

11/9/13 Mileage: 126,250
Replace Front Brake Pads - Replace Left Tie Rod and Upper and Lower Ball Joints (myself) - Outer Disc Seal did not get replaced, but was not overly worn.

11/13/13 Mileage: 126250
Replace Right Ball Joints and 4 New Firestone Tires and Front End Alignment - Arlington Car Care (Note, Right Tie Rod was not Replaced)

12/29/13 Mileage: 125350
Oil Change - Penzoil High Mileage 10W-30, front differential fluid (80W90 Lucas Oil), Air Filter.

1/18/14 New Door Speakers. Also started doing the belt weatherstrip / window scraper seal ("window felt") - did not finish that job, parts included in sale.

2/1/14 Mileage: 126642
Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

2/12/14 Mileage: 126753
New Ford brand Alternator

3/17/14 Blackstone Oil Report - I can provide a copy of this. Overall it said the wear metals in the engine look great. Of note, this oil was tested after I had the oil pan off to replace the oil pan gasket and oil pump, and I reused the oil (as it had only be in there a few months). I'm certain that is where the high silicon reading came from (from the sealant for the pan gasket). As for the higher potassium and sodium levels, I do know the radiator got replaced during the time this oil was in the engine, so perhaps that had something to do with it (though it seems that wouldn't matter). , I've never seen evidence of coolant in the oil, or vice versa, but I provide the oil report and you can make your own inspection.

5/4/14 New Autozone Duralast Gold Battery.

9/27/14 New coolant temperature sending unit.

10/4/14 Bleed Cooling System.

2/1/15 Oil Change - 10W-30 Pennzoil High Mileage

8/30/15 Moly Fuel Injector Cleaner - Rear Tank

12/24/15 New Wiper Blades

The Other:

1) The front brakes occasionally squeak. Its not a pad issue (they're relatively new), I think it has something to do with the pad retaining clips, but haven't gotten back in there to sort it out.

2) When I installed the front spring retainers I didn't tighten down the nuts (both sides) all the way (because they're challenging to turn given the fact that you have to turn them through the springs). The fact that the nuts aren't tightened against the big retaining washers means when you hit a bump you occasionally can hear the big retaining washers move up and down. Again, just haven't gotten back in there to sort it out.

3) The temperature gauge reads slightly higher than 1/2 on normal operation. I've heard these gauges have a history of issues, but this one works. It started to do this after I checked the gauge for operation when I started having issues with the gauge becoming intermittent (I think I may have left it "pegged" too long when checking its operation). Despite the upgrade to the 2 core radiator it reads a little higher than (I believe) it should (based on what it read previously with the 1 core radiator). However, I know its not running hot at all (the radiator out tube is cool to the touch - and I've had an IR temperature reader on it). I intended to install an actual set of gauges giving oil pressure, coolant temperature, etc., but just never got around to it.

4) There is a small oil leak that I suspect is the rear main seal (as I already did oil pan gasket, and there isn't an oil trail coming from somewhere else that I can see). I intended to do this (I bought the part), but because it is pretty minor I just didn't make it a priority.

5) When I went to the 2 core radiator the existing fan shroud no longer fit correctly. Rather than remove it (which would be easy enough to do, setting aside the safety issue) I just used zip ties to hold it in place, and I have never had an issue. I believe there was a Ford piece designed for the HD radiator and the inline 6, but I couldn't find one new, and never got around to doing a junk yard scrounge. Some searches on this forum lead me to believe the proper shroud is out there, I just never got around to finding it.

Included in Sale: Oil Filter (oil will need to be changed for 2016), new Window Felt, Air Filter, Rear oil main Seal, new alternator (autozone) - it doesn't need an alternator, but I ended up with an extra one and will include it.

Last edited by m002922; 12-25-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold.