Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Would you guys fix or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Would you guys fix or sell?

I have a 99 4.6l with a possible head gasket going out.

I know I can do the job I just really don't want to. Because it will take me probably a week to do with work and stuff going on.

It's got 218k miles. It runs great. Has no oil leaks. And the trans is spot on with no issues. The body and interior is pretty much crap. (Looks good in pictures but up close is a butterface)

What do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordrocks689
I have a 99 4.6l with a possible head gasket going out.

I know I can do the job I just really don't want to. Because it will take me probably a week to do with work and stuff going on.

It's got 218k miles. It runs great. Has no oil leaks. And the trans is spot on with no issues. The body and interior is pretty much crap. (Looks good in pictures but up close is a butterface)

What do you guys think?
Like my dad use to say, looks don't get you from point A to point B.

Mechanically you indicate a sound truck except the head gasket.

Personally I would fix it...either myself or a reputable shop....before it becomes an issue. You say a week if you do it, probably take a day for a shop. Two if they have other issues and have to replace related parts or have problems. A reputable shop will also give you some type of warranty on the work as well.

The real question you should be asking is...
Do I spend less and fix it or spend more on another truck? As long as your frame is sound I think you should fix it.

That's my 2 cents.....
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Very good point, I just recently gave up my leased fusion so I'm hoping it'll stick out until I can get another car. Once I have a second vehicle then it won't matter how long it sits for.

It seems to be leaking below the thermostat where the block meets with the heads and it leaks into the valley. . I'm 100% it's not the thermostat. Or that area.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:35 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

If theres a problem, you lost the value of repairs already.gone forever.

If you want to keep it, fix it.
If you dont, dont
I would inspect tranny pan and consider whats found there as well.

My 03 was in really good shape. I decided to install new engine, fix few other things, and happily drive it another 3-4 yrs at least. Engine, ball joints, tires, interior fix ups, minor things like door actuator, and I spent 6000+ on 13 yr old truck.

My brother...had transmission issues, ac issues, poor interior and exterior. Got rid of his..basically scrap. Got new toyota and glad to have a vehicle he trusts. He dont like the note, and hwy mileage is still poor.

Last edited by mbb; 01-22-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Yeah I'm THAT guy

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordrocks689
Very good point, I just recently gave up my leased fusion so I'm hoping it'll stick out until I can get another car. Once I have a second vehicle then it won't matter how long it sits for.

It seems to be leaking below the thermostat where the block meets with the heads and it leaks into the valley. . I'm 100% it's not the thermostat. Or that area.
Sounds like intake manifold gaskets to me and that's a very common place for them to leak
Old 01-22-2017, 04:52 PM

I just replaced them twice, took my time and torqued to spec. There's no moisture or residue coming from above, the moister starts from the crack at the block and heads.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Look at it like this. How much time and money are you going to spend fixing it? Can you get another truck for that amount + what ever your truck is worth? If not then it's best to fix it. If you can then it may be in your best interest to get a different truck.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Sell it, since your not very good at this stuff.
The following users liked this post:
97badass (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 PM

And just goes to prove what an *** you truly are. Just like in the other post.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Look at it like this. How much time and money are you going to spend fixing it? Can you get another truck for that amount + what ever your truck is worth? If not then it's best to fix it. If you can then it may be in your best interest to get a different truck.
Yeah, you guys made good points. I'm going to keep it, a local parts store next to me has everything I need to rent the tools like the cam holding tool and stuff so I don't have to buy them. I can just rent what I don't have and return it after I'm done. I'm looking for a new car right now so once I get one I can decommission the truck for a while and do the job. Thanks guys!