Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Wireing up running lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Ford Man For Life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wireing up running lights

I want to wire my aftermarket running lights into my factory fog lights does anyone know the wire color combinations to the factory fog lights so that I can wire into that for my running lights on my brush guard
Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford guy #6
I want to wire my aftermarket running lights into my factory fog lights does anyone know the wire color combinations to the factory fog lights so that I can wire into that for my running lights on my brush guard
Why not just tap into the hot on the fog light pigtail ?
Old 08-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Ford Man For Life

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
Why not just tap into the hot on the fog light pigtail ?
That was kinda my plan was to just run the hot from the running lights to the hot on the factory harrness for the fog lights so I could have them all on the same switch (the headlight switch) and just ground the running lights to the brush guard basically I just don't have a test light to figure out what wire is the hot wire in the harrness and do you think the headlight switch will hold the extra juice from the running lights?

Last edited by Ford guy #6; 08-31-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:00 PM

That was kinda my plan was to just run the hot from the running lights to the hot on the factory harrness for the fog lights so I could have them all on the same switch (the headlight switch) and just ground the running lights to the brush guard basically I just don't have a test light to figure out what wire is the hot wire in the harrness and do you think the headlight switch will hold the extra juice from the running lights?
Are they leds? Check the fuse for running lights and see what it is, you could put an inline fuss between the two and be just fine.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Ford Man For Life

Are they leds? Check the fuse for running lights and see what it is, you could put an inline fuss between the two and be just fine.
Nah I don't believe so they where on my truck when I got it and the po didn't have them wired in so I thought that could be an inexpensive thing to piddle with lol so your just saying to put an inline fuse inbetween the running lights to the harrness?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM
Ford Man For Life

Nah I don't believe so they where on my truck when I got it and the po didn't have them wired in so I thought that could be an inexpensive thing to piddle with lol so your just saying to put an inline fuse inbetween the running lights to the harrness?

These are the lights i am wanting to hook up
Old 08-31-2015, 07:06 PM

These are the lights i am wanting to hook up
I have two of those, because they're not DOT approved I would not recommend wiring them into your fog lights. I would say wire them completely separate. That way if you must use them you can but in oncoming traffic you don't have to.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I have two of those, because they're not DOT approved I would not recommend wiring them into your fog lights. I would say wire them completely separate. That way if you must use them you can but in oncoming traffic you don't have to.
Yup...good point thats what I did.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:12 PM
Ford Man For Life

That's a good point man I never even thought about that actually ha-ha
Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Ford Man For Life

Has anyone found a good place to install like a toggle switch that's outta sight? I had thought about it but I didn't wanna be drilling holes in the interior pannels and installing big ugly toggle switchs in plain sight I may just get some dot approved lights instead

Quick Reply: Wireing up running lights