Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Why is my Catalytic Converter glowing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my Catalytic Converter glowing???

My 2001 f150 with a 4.2 v6 is having a rough go of it lately. I just changed an IMRC clip found with a code, but it didn't fix my prob. When my truck began to run bad all of a sudden, besides the IMRC code, which I fixed, I also noticed a terrible exhaust leak. In addition I also just saw that one of my cats is glowing red hot. The truck still runs rough and these are the only symptoms that I have to go on. Help please. I need this truck back into action asap.

Thanks for you help.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could have a bad cat....clogged up and what not.....get some high flow cats and get rid of the ones you got
Old 07-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Another thought is that the rough-running engine is dumping a lot of unburned fuel into the exhaust. The cat is doing it's job - completing the combustion of any remaining unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream and thus reducing tailpipe emissions, although it is likely handling much more unburned hydrocarbons than it was designed for - resulting in the extra heat load.

Don't continue to run it like this - can melt or otherwise damage the catalyst, not to mention the fire hazard should the converter touch anything combustible.

My quick-n-easy, unscientific check for a plugged catalyst is to feel the exhaust as it's leaving the tail pipe. If slight pulses are felt - probably OK for now. If just a steady stream of air is felt, the cat is likely plugged to the point of needing replacement.

Quick Reply: Why is my Catalytic Converter glowing???